1964 rear suspension bushing kits

Rob007
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I purchased a front suspension rebuild kit https://stores.a-resto-parts.com/pr...MI052AlYyb9AIVKR6tBh3UgwUfEAQYAiABEgKo2_D_BwE . However, I can't find a rear suspension bushing kit. Does anyone recommend one or do you have the diameter of the leaf spring/shackle bushings that I need? I was originally looking into urethane bushings, but I read in an old post here that urethane bushings will bust the shackles in these cars. So I'll stick to OEM. I also read on another thread that they removed the leaf spring rubber insulators to install a drop block they manufactured in it's place since they don't make drop blocks for these cars. I'm not thinking about dropping the rear at this time, so I think I'll just go with urethane insulators.

Last edited:
I am not an expert here, but usually it requires a very large press to install leaf spring bushings. You should check and see if you have any spring repair shops in your area. I have done them before, not fun. You may be able to get the bushings at Napa.

Thanks, 74 Harley. Which makes me think, I wonder if any of the bushing for the front suspension require a press?

Since we are an all Ford Thunderbird site, you can omit the make/model of your car from future subjects. Also, since your posts is about a rear suspension bushing kit, I am updating your post and moving it to parts discussion.

And, of course, no replies to the advice sought in this thread, or my other thread because no one is shopping on the forum for parts. Hard to talk about a car without mentioning a part. Hey, Google, Alexa, anyone?

The front bushings are not quite as difficult. I has been a while since I have done them, but I will be there soon.

I don't think so, it has been a long time since I did any front end work.

Back