1964 rear brake conversion kit

Garret Swanson

Garret Swanson

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Yep you heard me right one of my first purchases was a rear brake conversion kit for tmy thunderbird and i found the link only problem is i doubt it fits it and now im stuck with 500 dollar conversion kit that i don't even know if i could use... here is the link if anyone knows how to help me please. i need someone to help me with this. or if there are more parts please let me know. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/RSD-ZDCRD02 (that is the brakes link)

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Yep you heard me right one of my first purchases was a rear brake conversion kit for tmy thunderbird and i found the link only problem is i doubt it fits it and now im stuck with 500 dollar conversion kit that i don't even know if i could use... here is the link if anyone knows how to help me please. i need someone to help me with this. or if there are more parts please let me know. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/RSD-ZDCRD02 (that is the brakes link)
Two things; 1. what do you believe is missing? It looks complete in the illustration. Are all the parts in the illustration in what you received? 2. Did you order off the catalog yourself or did you place a phone order describing your car to a rep.? I see there are several kits available with some vrations and for big and small bearing 9" rear ends. From the link you provided it appears to be the correct choice. I would suggest calling Summit, if you have not already done so. I wish you success in your installation. Hopefully another list member has previously don this conversion and can offer some help and guidance.

Two things; 1. what do you believe is missing? It looks complete in the illustration. Are all the parts in the illustration in what you received? 2. Did you order off the catalog yourself or did you place a phone order describing your car to a rep.? I see there are several kits available with some vrations and for big and small bearing 9" rear ends. From the link you provided it appears to be the correct choice. I would suggest calling Summit, if you have not already done so. I wish you success in your installation. Hopefully another list member has previously don this conversion and can offer some help and guidance.
1. I thought i was missing something the E brake connects too but i could be wrong. 2. i friend told me about summits brakes and commented on how good they are so i did the Vehicle/Engine search on the website. and i have been trying to get to working on giving them a call just have been busy lately.

Hi,
I have bought a few of those kits it will fit your 64 bird but the parking brake cables are useless I end up using Lokar parking brake cable kit. Also install a proportional for the rear brakes to set them up so they work nicely. Do you have disks up front? I have that kit on my 65 for 3 years now and i'm very happy with it.

Joey.S

Hi,
I have bought a few of those kits it will fit your 64 bird but the parking brake cables are useless I end up using Lokar parking brake cable kit. Also install a proportional for the rear brakes to set them up so they work nicely. Do you have disks up front? I have that kit on my 65 for 3 years now and i'm very happy with it.

Joey.S
Hello sorry for not answering for so long i have been busy and really stumped on my car i would love a front disks for sure if you can send me a link that would be amazing for my 1964.

Hi,

Joey.S
If you could also send or link the Lokar parking brake cable kit that would be amazing also, thank you so much

I just saw your post about the rear disc brake conversion.

I have 4 wheel disc brakes on my 1955 Bird with working emergency brake cable. They are power disc brakes also. I am not a resto mod Thunderbird just a good original looking bird. I have attached pictures of the brakes. Hope this helps if you haven't made the conversion or to help others that want 4 wheel disc brakes. They work GREAT!

Attachments

• 20220707_140026.jpg
    20220707_140026.jpg
    600.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220707_140008 (1).jpg
    20220707_140008 (1).jpg
    618.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 20221202_114733.jpg
    20221202_114733.jpg
    570.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20221212_121137.jpg
    20221212_121137.jpg