1964 - Original Engine?

RedDropTop
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Team T-bird,
I want to thank you all for answering all my questions to date. I have been preparing my car to sell for months and am getting to the finish line. One important detail I want to verify is - does the car have the original engine? Critical in the sale of the car as you all know.
I had always assumed it was, my dad bought on the car in 1990 and he mildly "restored" it, but it is somewhat of a survivor car. Without getting into too many details, there is so much original in this car, having a NOM would really surprise me. I have searched the internet and researched quite a bit. What I am finding is some contradictory information. I think my dates make sense but the engine is blue (research shows it should be black). And appears it always was blue. I'd like to get some input/opinions...
engine.jpg

Number above oil filter adapter is 4B12 (sorry for the poor picture)
4B122.jpg

Number stamped on front left of block is a bit confusing...
block_stamp.jpg

Aluminum tag bolted to head
alum_tag.jpg

VIN tag
vin_tag.jpg

It would seem the engine could be original but the engine casting number is only 6 days before the build date of the car. And why is it blue?!
Thanks!
Dave

Attachments

• 4B12.jpg
    4B12.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 4

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

There is a good chance the original engine was rebuilt and at that time, the original paint was stripped away in the hot tank and repainted blue. Blue being the new ford color, that's what everybody wanted.

There is a good chance the original engine was rebuilt and at that time, the original paint was stripped away in the hot tank and repainted blue. Blue being the new ford color, that's what everybody wanted.
Excellent point. The car probably had over 100k on it when my dad bought it in 1990.

6 days seems a little close to me. However Ford did not vin the block to the car. As long as it's in the correct time frame it's about as close as you can get.

Back