1964 Original Carburetor type

J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Just acquired a 1964 T-bird and has been stored for 20 years. Will run, but only at high RPM. Accelerator pump on
carburetor is frozen and tank probably has bad gas in it. The carb in a Holley 670 CFM and not original number
according to the service manual that I have. Anyone have any ideas on availability and correct number for the
original one???

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi Jimsavin1.
Just acquired a 1964 T-bird and has been stored for 20 years. Will run, but only at high RPM. Accelerator pump on
carburetor is frozen and tank probably has bad gas in it. The carb in a Holley 670 CFM and not original number
according to the service manual that I have. Anyone have any ideas on availability and correct number for the
original one???
Jimsavn1, you could go with the original Autolite 4100 carb, but the Holley 670 cfm carb that you have is a great carb for the 390 and your engine will develop more power and better throttle response than with the 600 cfm Autolite. There is something out of whack with the Holley or your fuel delivery system, so you might consider fixing it rather than replacing it.

Hi Jimsavin1.

Jimsavn1, you could go with the original Autolite 4100 carb, but the Holley 670 cfm carb that you have is a great carb for the 390 and your engine will develop more power and better throttle response than with the 600 cfm Autolite. There is something out of whack with the Holley or your fuel delivery system, so you might consider fixing it rather than replacing it.
Accelerator pump frozen and fitting leaking around primary where fuel goes in to the carburetor and through the filter. Car has been sitting for twenty years without running. Got it running with starting fluid, but only at high rpm. I will probably replace with another Holley.

A good carb shop should be able to fix it unless it's been through a fire or corroded beyond repair. They should be able to give you a good estimate VS. replacement.

Back