1964 Fruit jar master cylinder

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I want to put a dual master cylinder on my 64 bird. Any ideas of a kit would help.
go to any parts store and ask for 67 mustang master cylinder. you will also need a couple of shrt pieces of brake line about a foot long. i did one on a 65 that had a proportioning valve, not sure about the 64. it was an easy bolt on to brake booster with minor adjustment to push rod going into booster

Thanks. I have contacted a distributor and awaiting a reply from them.

Lots if useful hard to find stuff

Attachments

• 1594603175211870329861892307736.jpg
    1594603175211870329861892307736.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
I plan on using one when I convert the brakes to disc. Let me know how it goes

Got my dual master cylinder. Pulled out the old fruit jar master cylinder. Put in new cylinder and made a mock up so cross bar will now fit above MC and MC still be able to open. Now all I got to do is put in or modify brake lines and bench bleed MC per seller's instructions. Easier said than done for this 74 year old. Wish I knew some TBird fans near me.

you will need to put a little notch in the shock tower brace1229181317d.jpg

I want to put a dual master cylinder on my 64 bird. Any ideas of a kit would help.
The introduction of the “dual” master cylinder came with two separate braking systems that would allow the ability to stop the car if you ruptured a brake line. You ‘64 does not have a dual system. All four brakes run off of one system. You are wasting your time and money to install a dual master with a “kit” to make it work. For proper operation, you will need to replace your brake lines with lines that make each wheel independent of each other, either front and rear, left or right, or a combination to make it work as intended.

I actually modified the shock tower brace by 2 inches which put it above the MC and allowing the MC to open and close. Checked height and am able to close hood without any complications. Bought new brake lines and will be replacing all brake lines one at a time as I can. A job for this old stroke victim but not impossible just tiresome. I like the looks of yours better than mine.

they don't give you a lot of room to work with so you have to do what you can

It took me several tries to acquire all the fittings, etc. I hit 5 different auto stores in 2 days just to get it all and finally had to order my brake sender and fitting on line. Hope to get it all together in the car in the next 2 weeks.

The introduction of the “dual” master cylinder came with two separate braking systems that would allow the ability to stop the car if you ruptured a brake line. You ‘64 does not have a dual system. All four brakes run off of one system. You are wasting your time and money to install a dual master with a “kit” to make it work. For proper operation, you will need to replace your brake lines with lines that make each wheel independent of each other, either front and rear, left or right, or a combination to make it work as intended.
Hey BigClay. On the '64, there's a single master that pumps into a splitter and one line from the splitter goes to the two front brakes and other line to the two rear brakes. So a dual master could be connected to those two lines and there would be two independent systems. Am I thinking about this correctly?

Doug

Back