1964 Brake Advise

R
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Just acquired my wife's original first car.
Brakes are all original and it hasn't been started or moved in 20+ years.
Q-drum replacements all around or upgrade kits to front disk or all around disk?
This won't be a show car, just a great driver.
Thank You

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I like disc brakes in front. All around is nice but ~70% of braking is done by the front wheels. so I am happy to retain drums in the rear.

I'm a bit of a purist. First on your agenda would be to check the fuel system. Gunk in the tank & fuel lines and if the flexible ones are pliant. Don't even think of starting it on that crud. Then pull the plugs and out and put in some Marvel mystery oil and let it soak. Hope no critters made nests, they have been known to crawl all the way up the exhaust and stash nuts and food inside the engine.
The original brakes were pretty good but I would leave any upgrades as an end project.
Resurrecting a car that has been sitting 20+ years is a complex process. Do Tons of research and under any circumstances do not just put a battery in it and see if it runs. You could do irreparable damage. Do tons of research on resurrecting barn finds. There is plenty out there.
Knowing it's history and personal attachment you have a gem. Treat it as such. It would make an amazing anniversary present. I don't know if Garage Squad is still in production but they take on projects like yours with such an emotional connection. Contact them.
Just tread with caution and do no harm. It will be a process and not inexpensive but the end result will be worth it

Last edited:
I'm a bit of a purist. First on your agenda would be to check the fuel system. Gunk in the tank & fuel lines and if the flexible ones are pliant. Don't even think of starting it on that crud. Then pull the plugs and out and put in some Marvel mystery oil and let it soak. Hope no critters made nests, they have been known to crawl all the way up the exhaust and stash nuts and food inside the engine.
The original brakes were pretty good but I would leave any upgrades as an end project.
Resurrecting a car that has been sitting 20+ years is a complex process. Do Tons of research and under any circumstances do not just put a battery in it and see if it runs. You could do irreparable damage. Do tons of research on resurrecting barn finds. There is plenty out there.
Knowing it's history and personal attachment you have a gem. Treat it as such. It would make an amazing anniversary present. I don't know if Garage Squad is still in production but they take on projects like yours with such an emotional connection. Contact them.
Just tread with caution and do no harm. It will be a process and not inexpensive but the end result will be worth it
Sounds like this fella has been there and done that. DOT 3 brake fluid is hygroscopic meaning it attracts water over time. When I bought this car and put it on the road after 4 years of sitting the brake fluid was like mushroom soup. Flush and change it out.
After I personally serviced the drum brakes on each corner the car stops like a boss and the brakes saved my life once.

Attachments

• Old Town.jpg
    Old Town.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Back