1964 back disc brake converison

Garret Swanson

Garret Swanson

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello, today i was wanting to replace my back brakes to disc brakes [Imagine is attached about what i will be talking about and what i need help with] basically i am doing a back brake conversion from drum to disc (i got the brakes from summit racing) and i was really excited but, i ran into a issue. how do i remove the ebrake cable here is a photo of the cable (if you want anymore info let me know)
unnamed.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Glad you are excited about doing you mod, inspector is giving you good advice on removal. I was thinking about rear brake conversion too but thought parking brake can not be reinstalled to be functional with disc brake conversion. With the propensity of these beasts slipping out of park into drive a maintained functioning parking brake is more valuable to me than a mild increase of braking performance. Please correct me if I am wrong my 56yr old Bird is new to me and we are still dating, I am finding out new things about her daily. My 56yr old sounds like a youngster, please don't tell my wife! lol

Hello, today i was wanting to replace my back brakes to disc brakes [Imagine is attached about what i will be talking about and what i need help with] basically i am doing a back brake conversion from drum to disc (i got the brakes from summit racing) and i was really excited but, i ran into a issue. how do i remove the ebrake cable here is a photo of the cable (if you want anymore info let me know)
View attachment 15410
Soak with penetrating oil, hen pull retaining clip off. In your picture it has a bend to grab with pliers or use a screwdriver and hammer to drive it off.

I converted my 1988 Mustang's rear drums to discs. Quiet frankly, it was a waste of money, except for bragging rights. 70-80% of your stopping power comes from the front brakes. If you're not road racing/frequently driving in the mountains, where brake fade is an issue, you probably won't see much, if any, improvement, unless your drums were defective. If you want to improve stopping power, invest in better front brakes.

Some might argue that if rear discs are not necessary, why do all new cars have them. Why? Because new cars have them, customers expect them. Rear discs were standard on my entry-level 2015 Toyota Rav4 LE and on my 2017 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4. I'm not likely to exchange them for drums, but if they had drums, they would remain drums. Front discs? Absolutely!

Some might argue that if rear discs are not necessary, why do all new cars have them. Why? Because new cars have them, customers expect them. Rear discs were standard on my entry-level 2015 Toyota Rav4 LE and on my 2017 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4. I'm not likely to exchange them for drums, but if they had drums, they would remain drums. Front discs? Absolutely!
You can't compare 60 y/o systems to modern. Nobody thought of off road capability to road cars at the time. Jaguar invented disk brakes for racing. Yes they are more efficient, so why not drop a modern electronically controlled engine in a classic? Because it is no longer an original classic. Modify all you like as it's your car but the originality goes down the tube along with the collector car value. The auctions don't show any increase in value, but to each their own.

Some might argue that if rear discs are not necessary, why do all new cars have them. Why?

Simplicity of maintenance and less costly to produce and install, and very effective in an antilock system. That is what I guess is the reason that most new cars have rear disc brakes. ..

You can't compare 60 y/o systems to modern. Nobody thought of off road capability to road cars at the time. Jaguar invented disk brakes for racing. Yes they are more efficient, so why not drop a modern electronically controlled engine in a classic? Because it is no longer an original classic. Modify all you like as it's your car but the originality goes down the tube along with the collector car value. The auctions don't show any increase in value, but to each their own.

If you buy your classic to be a concours show stopper I whole heartedly agree!!... But,... I bought mine to drive and enjoy it that way, so the peace of mind offsets any difference in value that having the old front drum brakes would make. Without an antilock system I don't see any advantage in rear disc unless you were running your car at the track. I have panic braked and my 64 with front disc and rear drum and it will lock all 4 up very easily and control is difficult,, darn deer!!!:eek: Makes you appreciate the modern braking system for sure.. Just my .02, and probably not worth that.
Take care
Ed

I guess it comes down to whether you want to drive it or show it. Should I not install seat belts in my 55 because 55s did not have seat belts?

Hello, for those who have looked at my past posts i have done some brake work but I am confused where do i connect the new E brake cable (the sliver one) to the wire that is going to the middle of the car and i was thinking is it connected to. I posted all the photos to help you understand what i am talking about, thank you to everyone who has helped me so far!
Garret Swanson
IMG_4287.jpgIMG_4286.jpgIMG_4285.jpgIMG_4284.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back