1964 Alternator black plastic cover purpose?

S

stevetheweave1

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
What is the purpose of the black plastic cover on the backend of the alternator? I think it Impedes airflow for cooling and am wanting to leave it off.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

should have a black painted splash shield with fiber flap installed. also a rubber dust boot which is what i think you are talking about. this is correct started in 1963. see page 219 wm wonder book "Thunderbird restoration guide, 1958-66" would not discard does not hamper airflow. i can send you a picture if you like.

Please use the 4 digit model year in your subject, this aids in site searches as well as google searches. This has been updated for you.

Steve.

My wife and I are planning a trip on Route 66 from Chicago to Santa Monica in September. We will be driving her 2004 Retro Bird instead of my 55 Thunderbird. Not that I don't think my 55 wouldn't make the trip, I guess driving across the desert in a car with no air conditioning has something to do with it.

The company that is planning the trip is called Two Lane America.

www.guidedroute66tours.com

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

What is the purpose of the black plastic cover on the backend of the alternator? I think it Impedes airflow for cooling and am wanting to leave it off.
I have a ‘64 Convertable. Because the alternator (new for ‘64) was mounted low, I guess they thought it would be good to shield the backside of the alternator. I removed the dry rotted shield from my car 2 years ago, and have driven in the rain since. No problems. I even converted my alternator to an “internal regulator” still with no problems. If you are worried about it, you could “flip/180” your alternator (like a Mustang)to get it up higher. Then, that shield won’t fit.

Back