1963 water on floor mats

N
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My 63 bird. When it rains, water comes in through the air vents onto the floor mats. It's clean under the cowl and I can't see the leak. Any thoughts?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

My 1963 bird. When it rains, water comes in through the air vents onto the floor mats. It's clean under the cowl and I can't see the leak. Any thoughts?
Check fresh air ducts (hoses) under the dash or windshield leak??? I forget, are the windshield wiper arms on the cowl? Maybe leaking around wiper arm mount gasket? Been a long time since I had a '1962! Had a '1972 Pantera with a water leak and could never figure it out, turns out it was a windshield leak that dripped through the glovebox to the floor! LOL!

Last edited:
Use the four-digit model year in your subject on future posts. I've updated it. This aids with site search & google searches.
model-year.jpg

Check fresh air ducts (hoses) under the dash or windshield leak??? I forget, are the windshield wiper arms on the cowl? Maybe leaking around wiper arm mount gasket? Been a long time since I had a '62!
New windshield gasket. Wiper arms are above the water collector pan on the cowl. I was hoping not to spend hours in an uncomfortable position looking for a seal that needs replacing between the cowl and fresh air vent. Their is a riser tube in the cowl that has calk around it for the air intake. The calk looks shot and maybe the problem.

Radio antenna cables are notorious for leaks.

It often pays to take a water hose and run it around the windshield, cowl vents and top fender area observe any leaks that occure. These can be hard to spot, also one of those goosneck smartphone camers can be used to look around under the dash (disconnect the battery first):

You'll find dozens of other household uses for it as well.

Back