1963 Vin Decoder

D

Dubai camel

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi,
A new member here and I came across a 1963 thunderbird in an online auction here in Dubai, but I tried to decode the VIN number etc and I wasn't successful so your help is much appreciated!
Q1: the body code says 63A but when I looked at the code table it says its a hardtop! Looking at em pics its not :)

I already know the car got repainted red ( original color is silver mink)

But I'm planning to start a new project and restore everything back to original state minus the engine as I'm doing a 5.0 swap.

Regards
Screenshot_20221113-181420.png

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Your subject should be a summary of your post which is about decoding a VIN number. Your subject "1963 thunderbird auction question" has been revised. You can omit the make/model of your car since this is an all Ford Thunderbird site.model-year-TBF.jpg

Hi,
A new member here and I came across a 1963 thunderbird in an online auction here in Dubai, but I tried to decode the VIN number etc and I wasn't successful so your help is much appreciated!
Q1: the body code says 63A but when I looked at the code table it says its a hardtop! Looking at em pics its not :)

I already know the car got repainted red ( original color is silver mink)

But I'm planning to start a new project and restore everything back to original state minus the engine as I'm doing a 5.0 swap.

Regards
View attachment 25151
63A = Thunderbird Hardtop
G = Silver Mink (1963) Ditzler Mix Code 12497 (1964 is different)
50 = Silver Blue vinyl interior
30K = scheduled for October 30, 1962
61 = Dallas District (dealer located somewhere in a very broad area in North Texas, Oklahoma, or Arkansas)
1 = 3.00 to 1 axle ratio
4 = Cruise-O-Matic

The VIN itself is
3 = 1963
Y = Wixom Assembly
83 = Thunderbird Hardtop serial code
Z = 390 CID V-8 engine 4V
115465 = the 15,465th Thunderbird scheduled for production, not the 15,465th actually built

This car was reported to the Thunderbird Registry in 2016 with conflicting information, only a very poor picture was available. Apparently the VIN plate was transferred to a convertible or the roof of the car was removed. Check the VIN under the hood and please
let me know what you find. It is Registry Number 62796.
vin-location-616263.jpg

It is likely that over its lifetime that car was involved in a crash of some degree and the door was replaced. That tag on the door is not the actual vin plate as many people believe it to be.
As TBR pointed out above check the actual vin numbers that are stamped into car. And check those against the paperwork to make sure you are not buying an illegitimate mess.

Back