1963 Timing Chain replacement 1row vs 2 row

FoxyRoxy

FoxyRoxy

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am doing the timing cover seal replacement on my 63 and have determined the chain could use replacing. Easy thing would be to just remove the Cam sprocket and replace the stock 1 row chain. Would it be worth the extra time and money to go with a true roller 2 row replacement? Would I need other parts to mate up with this? Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Anything modern is always going to be better than what was put in originally. Still like Bond said the original lasted until now. It's really down to what you want to do. I would myself personally go with a double roller chain over the original style.

I hope you are changing the chain AND sprockets. The original upper sprocket is usually nylon covered for noise reduction and wears against the chain

Yes I got a whole new set. Chain and both sprockets. It was guessing that the original nylon has worn wich made for slop.

When installing READ THE SHOP MANUAL! If I recall you count the links to time it, you do NOT align the dots. A lesson learned in high school auto shop.

Will do . Every video I've watched shows aligning the marks. I have them aligned right now with manual crank rotation and cylinder one vented on cue and crank has clearance to remove oil pan.

Woops, I be wrong, FE engines are align the dots, my mind wandered.

Back