1963 Thunderbird steering gear box reassembly

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Cyr Performance

Cyr Performance

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I'm rebuilding the gear box and when disassembling the valve spool pieces, I noticed there are grooves in the worm shaft and spool valve has them along with the torsion rod. The spool valve will slide and spin down the torsion rod when not assembled but will not when assembled. First reassembly lead to steering system turning full lock left. All back apart and know it is something I did wrong with this assembly just not sure how it assembles to function properly. Please help.

Many years ago I had a 63. The car would take an unexpected jump to one side when the steering box hit a certain spot. Turned out that a large scratch on one of the steering box components was causing a pressure imbalance when the scratch reached a certain position. I replaced the steering box and all was fine.

After several attempts with changing the valve spool install spot, I called it a day and had the owner order a new one from Redhead Gear Box. Hopefully gets here and is worth the money.

I am having a shop put in a redhead as well. They are a great company. Mine is also a 63. Was yours a pin or clamp style?

I'm rebuilding the gear box and when disassembling the valve spool pieces, I noticed there are grooves in the worm shaft and spool valve has them along with the torsion rod. The spool valve will slide and spin down the torsion rod when not assembled but will not when assembled. First reassembly lead to steering system turning full lock left. All back apart and know it is something I did wrong with this assembly just not sure how it assembles to function properly. Please help.
First, find/get a Ford Factory
Shop manual and read the “steering gear assembly” section about 3 times. Everything HAS to be assembled properly, and the final adjustments are very critical! If not adjusted properly, the steering wheel can/will turn sharply left or right all by itself when you start the engine. Special tools are required, and most of the guys that know how to do this are very old (or dead). Best bet is to by an “exchange” box that has been adjusted.

Back