1963 Thunderbird Monaco edition color change red to white

Doug and Mary

Doug and Mary

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello all. My wife and I have recently acquired a 63 Thunderbird Monaco limited edition that is in need of restoration. She thinks it would look better in red than the original white. How badly would that affect resale?

Last edited by a moderator:
color changes are very expensive. You have to basically dismantle and remove the interior or or overspray will be all over when they have to do the door jams , engine compartment, trunk surrounds etc>. Unless to are taking it all the way down to bare then you could do it. By the way, A Monoco on a T-Bird site?

Yes, its one of the 2000 1963 Ford Thunderbird "Principality of Monaco" limited editions. # 528 to be exact. The car is in primer, and has been in storage for 8 years. Most of my experience is with restoring MGs. I haven't done a full restoration on an american make before. If this were a regular T-bird from '63, I probably wouldn't worry so much, and just paint it ragoon red, but this car is somewhat rare.

The comments about the painting and need to almost dismantle the car are accurate. It goes way beyond the interior. Part of the reason for how expensive paint jobs are these days. Value wise, a lot depends on your plans - short term/long term - and your planned use. If the plan is to paint, reassemble and flip, you would likely be better off repainting it in the original color. If you are planning on enjoying the car , driving it on occasion,. paint it any color you want that will work with the interior.

unfortunately hardtops are not worth near the money of a convertible, even Monaco editions.. to change the color completely would, as mentioned above, require pulling the engine, removing all the interior, doors, trim, etc. a good paint job could cost 10k, especially if the painter/body shop has to take all the trim off, the bumpers, moldings, etc. the cheapest way would be to repaint just the outside and the door jambs the same white as original. you will not get your $ out of a $10k paint job. same holds true for the '59 Squarebird with the sunroof. although they didn't make a lot, they don't bring the big bucks, even beautifully restored. I changed my '60 from Wimbledon white to a later Ford red color, but had it completely stripped down, engine out, interior gutted, windows and windshield removed , bumpers off, convertible top frame off, etc. it took me 14 months to do it in my garage. would not want to do that again

Since this was a limited edition i would not change the color. if you ever sell it, will get more $ for a princess of Monaco in white. any other color makes it an "ordinary" 1963 T-bird. (although no t- birds of early years are ordinary, they are all great, at least thru 1966. after that, well maybe).

From what I understand, Ford has produced several 'Special Edition' vehicles. And this is one. If he's going down to full rebuild and body blasting you could change the color. The question is; do you want it original or a resto-mod. I would think he'd have a buyer either way if he decided to sell. Enjoying it is utmost.

This is car number 1051/2000

Last edited:
Hello all. My wife and I have recently acquired a 63 Thunderbird Monaco limited edition that is in need of restoration. She thinks it would look better in red than the original white. How badly would that affect resale?
I would definitely hurt the value. My opinion - keep it original. Paint it white as it came from the factory.

Yes, a color change could affect value, but not by that much. Paint the car whatever color makes you enjoy it more! No matter what, paint is infinitely changeable. And some day if you choose to sell it you can always revisit the idea of original color.
It's your car, enjoy it and drive the wheels off it! Fun is what this is all about!

Thanks all for yor imput! Since the car is currently in primer, "changing" the exterior body color now means just picking a color. The trunk, engine bay are still white, and I was going to leave them that way. That way, if I do sell it, and the future owner wants to go back to white, it will be a much simplier job. As far as restro-mod, I'm going to limit myself to upgrading the brake system to dual circut, new stainless lines, front disc set up. Ive seen a couple of these set ups for sale specific to bullet birds, and I think it's a worthwhile investment, as my wife and I want to take the car on long trips.I'll keed the parts I take off, just so the next owner can have the option of going back, though frankly, I doubt anyone would!

Back