1963 throttle spring placement and throttle linkage clearence

FoxyRoxy

FoxyRoxy

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have the carb back on my 63 and am tinkering with the issue I had before tear down where the throttle linkage was getting caught on the Power Steering line to the wipers. I tried tying them up a bit so that the back of the rod clears but at full throttle tge linkage still pushes against it. Also the long spring brushes against a bracket with a hole that looks like a spring attachment. Any thoughts?20200911_094522.jpg20200911_094603.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have the carb back on my 63 and am tinkering with the issue I had before tear down where the throttle linkage was getting caught on the Power Steering line to the wipers. I tried tying them up a bit so that the back of the rod clears but at full throttle tge linkage still pushes against it. Also the long spring brushes against a bracket with a hole that looks like a spring attachment. Any thoughts?View attachment 13459View attachment 13460
Can you not drill a small hole lower down in the attachment area at the other end so that the spring is more or less in a straight line.

I can answer 1 of the questions...
the bracket under the carburetor mount does not belong there. On most FE series engines of this period that bracket goes under one of the bolts holding down the intake manifold. The throttle return spring attaches to it. Sometimes, but infrequently, I've seen that clip under a valve cover bolt. To the best of my knowledge Ford never attached the throttle return spring to the carb throttle lever as shown in your first photo, but over the last 50 - 60 years many have been changed to the same location as yours, usually when the bracket gets lost during a valve job or other engine work. If you look at the intake manifold bolt next to the B in Belden on the hose in the foreground, it is the typical mounting point for the bracket, and the end of the spring that goes into the bracket, not to the carb (see red circles).

For the second picture, it is possible the thick spacer under the carb has altered the stock geometry and is causing some of your issues with the hose interference, although with the zip ties and worm style clamps on the offending hoses I'd say the hose interference can best be resolved by rerouting the whole set of hoses. They are presently likely nowhere close to stock locations. Maybe do a web search for '63 T-bird show cars and see where those hoses belong.63tbird.jpg

Aha. Thank you Pink T-Bird. Makes sense. The carb spacer I thought was stick because it has coolant hoses connected to it from the block. Sorry for bad pic but the rubber vacuum hoses are not hitting its the steel ps line along the fire wall that seems in the way.

The carb spacer I thought was stick because it has coolant hoses connected to it from the block. Sorry for bad pic but the rubber vacuum hoses are not hitting its the steel ps line along the fire wall that seems in the way.
I suppose the spacer could be stock if this engine were prone to throttle plate icing. For example Falcons, Comets, and early Mustangs with straight 6 engines had a factory spacer under the carb that flowed engine coolant through it to prevent icing. Presuming you have a 390 V8 in your car, that was addressed by a crossover inside the intake that allowed a small portion of the exhaust to "cross over" under the carb and help with warm up and prevent icing, unless T-bird 390s used a different design intake from other Ford 352 & 390s. May need a '63 model year expert to chime in. Is it possible it's a PCV retrofit plate rather than anti-icing plate? (One vacuum hose rather than 2 coolant hoses)
For the pressure lines to run the hydraulic wipers (powered by the PS pump), if they are the correct lines (e.g. '63 not 64 - 66), I would think there is likely just one way to route them. For that to cause interference with the throttle linkage is a head scratcher. We'll need a '63 expert to chime in. Sorry.

Just found these.
Completely different bracket and throttle return spring than on your car! I have a '58 and a '59 Ford with FE motors with the throttle spring and bracket like yours, so there must have been some parts scrounging going on in your car's past.
In the new pictures the PS hose for the wipers is nowhere to be seen. Maybe yours were scrounged from another car too?

Interesting. Yes I'm hoping to be one when its all said and done.lol. Here is a better pic of how the plate is plumbed in. 20200911_123715.jpg

It does appear to be a stock anti icing plate with engine coolant through it, very similar concept to the ones on I-6 Fords of the era, just 4 bbl instead of 1 bbl.

Yes your carb spacer is correct. It appears to me the hoses in your pictures are vacuum lines. If it was me I would route them under your linkage, not over.

Thats a good idea. The steel ps lines on the fire wall are an issue with linkage. May be a adjustment issue

Back