1963 Landau dash repair/original options?

Moo
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi everyone.
This is my first Thunderbird and I have just bought a 1963 Landua model.
It's got around 83000 miles on the clock and been sat for around 15 years.
It's a runner and the brakes are currently being sorted before it arrive to me in the uk.
The paintwork is very faded but I plan on keeping it original Rangoon Red.
The dash pad has split so I'm wondering the best way to sort this other than replacing.

Also I'm not sure what options the 63 Landau model came with as standard but it seems quite spec'd.
It has
Dual exhaust
Rear fender inserts
Front and rear power windows
Power seats
Air conditioning
Power steering
Power brakes
Wire wheels.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
I'm going to get this car back to a good daily so my wife and kids can enjoy it whilst keeping it as factory correct as possible

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I edited your title to something more relevant to your questions which will help you get more responses. Welcome to the forum.

A couple of things to start --

New brakes should include new brake LINES (get the stainless steel ones) and hoses. An old hose can let go, and they can also clog and give your brakes a terrible feel. The steel lines can rust and suddenly let go -- yes, happened to me a short time after I got mine. The really bad place is underneath the driver's door hinge there's a small protection plate where the brake lines turns and goes toward the rear. Mud cakes up inside and rusts the line -- and could also kill your fuel line, so this should also be tended to. In fact it's wise to replace all rubber fuel lines as well; they are old and the new ones are better for the alcohol mix found in modern gas.

Next, rear axle, both the pumpkin and the bearings. When a car sits for a long time, the gear oil dried up on the "upper" parts of the bearings, and they start to rust. It might seem fine at first, but after you drive it a bit the car will growl like crazy.

Next, floor pans. I betcha some rain and snow got into your car maybe 40 years ago, and it's still there. Peel away the carpeting, and surprise! It's soaking wet under there. If good condition, great, but I bet it's a mess.

You'll also find that this car can be incredibly expensive to rebuild. Repro parts are available, but some of them are quite high in price. If the same part is used on a Mustang or Galaxie, and unchanged for several years, it may be cheap, but if it's only for a 1963 Bird, prepare to open your wallet. The high cost of tooling for the part is divided among the number they expect to sell, and since there are relatively few Thunderbirds, it's high. Also, this car is actually a Lincoln, built in the Lincoln factory, and it uses Lincoln design technology -- why use three moving parts when you can have 47? Yes, overkill.

This is not to burst your bubble, just telling you a few things to expect. These are incredibly nice cars once restored, and unlike Mustangs, you won't find a dozen others on the show field.

Welcome to the TBird world! I'm in the UK too and imported a 62 which had been stood since 1982. Currently had to re-build the front suspension, rear suspension, all brakes including the lines as anything including rubber had perished. As Gary mentioned, parts are available but the shipping and duty to the UK is painful. Try rockauto.com for the general service stuff including engine and brake parts - pretty good costs and shipping. I've now decided to paint mine mainly as the previous owner had attempted this with a broom!!
Re your dash top, mine is the same - I'm just trying to see what can be done and currently attempting to remove. If I come up with a good repair I'll let you know.
Good Luck Andy

Welcome to the TBird world! I'm in the UK too and imported a 62 which had been stood since 1982. Currently had to re-build the front suspension, rear suspension, all brakes including the lines as anything including rubber had perished. As Gary mentioned, parts are available but the shipping and duty to the UK is painful. Try rockauto.com for the general service stuff including engine and brake parts - pretty good costs and shipping. I've now decided to paint mine mainly as the previous owner had attempted this with a broom!!
Re your dash top, mine is the same - I'm just trying to see what can be done and currently attempting to remove. If I come up with a good repair I'll let you know.
Good Luck Andy

I replaced my dash pad on my late 62. Big job but worth it. The pad is for a 61 and early 62 so the 63 dash metal has to be cut so the pad will fit also you have to replace the door panels. Plus the replaced pad and panels have to be dyed.

Back