1963 identify these parts found in oil pan

Sandron
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum. I just acquired a 63 convertible. Rebuilt 390 4bbl with 500 miles on the rebuild. It sat for 3 years. I did a tune up on it and changed the oil. I replaced the oil pan drain plug with a magnetic drain plug. It starts and runs great. Absolutely love the car!! I put about 300 miles on it and decided to change the oil again. I found these 2 banged up pieces on the magnetic drain plug. Can anyone ID what this? Very concerned. Thank you for your help.
20200712_084236.jpg20200712_084206.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

only thing that comes to mind is part of the distributor body

Can you photograph the parts next to a ruler for size reference?

Can you photograph the parts next to a ruler for size reference?
Sure. Here are some pics for size reference. The opening is about 7/16. The car needs to drive home about 10 miles but I am not sure if I should try it.

Attachments

• 20200712_145427.jpg
    20200712_145427.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200712_145609.jpg
    20200712_145609.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Pull the Dist out. I think you will find the issue. Best bet is to pull the pan. It is not fun but can be done and also check the condition of the oil pump drive shaft. I don't have an FE handy to look at so I am working off a poor memory

Thank you Critterpainer. I pulled the distributor. The retainer was in place and in good shape which is puzzling. The oil pump drive shaft looked good as well. I think you are right about pulling the pan.

Attachments

• Dist retainer pic2.jpg
    Dist retainer pic2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I wonder if the parts were missed in the parts cleaning in the alleged rebuild? Orig dist may have seized into the engine and broke during disassembly leaving bits behind. Hope nothing is in the oil pump pressure relief valve.

If you pull the oil pan try to remove just the sump to get the pan to slide forward and out. I dropped my whole pump last night on my 63 to get mine out and am thinking its gonna be tricky to get back in without marring the new gasket.

Back