1963 Hard to start

FoxyRoxy

FoxyRoxy

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My 63 has been hard to start. I used starter fluid for a bit but then realized I could prime it by hand at the carb with the throttle. However it backfired last time and the carb caught fire a bit. I did add some lead substitute to the tank for its first fill up after owning her for 3 months. Could it be fuel and spark issue or timing or all three?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Check the timing and consider changing the points AND condensor...

I have only done timing on a chevy 350 v8 with all that visual room. Ford 390 not so much. Can you recomend a good link for instructions to do so? Thanks

i would suggest changing points and condenser to a pertronix electronic ignition. if you don't have a timing light, loosen distributor bolt and turn dist to the left until it reaches highest smooth rpm and then back it off about 1/4 inch and it should be pretty close to spot on.

Sounds like a good place to start. I do have a timing light I used on my chevy but its very hard to tell where the notches and alignment tag are for the timing. I was going to start by removing the ac and fuel filter/pump and installing an inline filter and electric fuel pump.

Sounds like a good place to start. I do have a timing light I used on my chevy but its very hard to tell where the notches and alignment tag are for the timing. I was going to start by removing the ac and fuel filter/pump and installing an inline filter and electric fuel pump.
electric fuel pump is a good idea. i usually replace the old mechanical pumps with an electric one. have you checked the choke to see if it closes all of the way when engine is cold?

Yeah. Getting old mechanical stuff out of the way and upgrading for sure. This engine has a copper line that goes from the manifold to the choke. Would replacing that with an electric choke help?

Yeah. Getting old mechanical stuff out of the way and upgrading for sure. This engine has a copper line that goes from the manifold to the choke. Would replacing that with an electric choke help?
if you are replacing carb, for sure. i usually upgrade to a holley 600cfm with electric choke

Back