1963 cannot remove tire & wheel

S

Steve Edwards

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Why is the left rear wheel and tire of my '63 TBird impossible to remove unless we let the air out of the tire first? Not so with the right wheel/tire

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

If you mean it hits the body it's possible the rear housing assembly is not centered in the car. I would check all the rubber bushings etc first and take some measurements on both sides and compare.

Joe

Why is the left rear wheel and tire of my '63 TBird impossible to remove unless we let the air out of the tire first? Not so with the right wheel/tire
If it is original steel and clear to remove and just "froze" on, there is a good chance that it is just rusted on. soak it by spraying penetrating oil on it everywhere. Especially the center. Let it soak for 10+ minutes then use a piece of a 2x4 as a punch. set it with some blocks and drive it with a sledge hammer into the outer area of the rim, rotate the wheel so as to strike it all around to break it free. Once you have it free, clean it well and upon replacement, put a film of anti-seize on the surface of the hub (but not on the lug nuts or threads or where the lug nuts snug on the rim) only wherever the rim and brake drum/axle hub surfaces mate so this doesn't happen again. Lug nuts torque to a spec and anti-seize will change the torque spec so keep them and the threads free of anti-seize. Lug nuts are designed to self center and notice that they do not have lock washers! When replaced, run the rear end to assure that the rim is not bent.

It's possible that at some point in time it sustained body damage that was not repaired correctly. Does the car track straight?

@Steve Edwards - your title "Why is the left rear wheel and tire of my '63 TBird impossible to remove unless we let the air out of the tire first? Not so with the right wheel/tire" has been revised.

Please use a BRIEF subject along with the four-digit model year on future subjects. Since we are an all Ford Thunderbird site there is no need to include the make & model of the car.

model-year-TBF.jpg

Back