1962 transmission shifting problem.

aa010175

aa010175

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I do not know if my transmission is shifting into third gear or not. If I have the transmission in D2 and going down the road at 50 mph and I move the lever to D1 nothing happens the RPMs don’t change the speed doesn’t change. I don’t know if it’s shifting to third or not because of the no results from the downshifting. Any help would be great. Thanks Dave

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

In D1 the transmission starts off in 2nd gear and then shifts to 3rd. In D2 the transmission starts off in 1st gear.

Cruise-O-Matic transmissions have a shift pattern of Low - D1 - D2. These transmissions start in Low in the D1 (Drive 1) position, but start in Intermediate gear in the D2 (Drive 2) position. This was done in order to allow starting in sand or snow in Intermediate gear to prevent rear wheel slippage. To help prevent strain on the engine and transmission, normal operation of the Cruise-O-Matic transmission should always be in D1 range.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

I do not know if my transmission is shifting into third gear or not. If I have the transmission in D2 and going down the road at 50 mph and I move the lever to D1 nothing happens the RPMs don’t change the speed doesn’t change. I don’t know if it’s shifting to third or not because of the no results from the downshifting. Any help would be great. Thanks Dave
HI, D1 starts off in low. D2 starts off in 2nd. Both positions shift into 3rd. That is why the RPM doesn't change when in 3rd when you move shifter.

Easy- use the trans shifter position with the red circle for normal driving (D1).

Easy- use the trans shifter position with the red circle for normal driving (D1).
Thank you very much to all. This clears up my thought. I guess I’m paranoid because I’m new to the car and I was worried about the linkage not being adjusted correctly and keeping me out of third gear. Dave.

On the ‘63 TBird CM, the normal drive position (starts in low and goes through all three gears) is indicated by a green dot on the shift dial. Not sure if they used the same indicator for 61-62 also.

Back