1962 Thunderbird convertible top rehab

R

Rob C

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have had this car for 15 years. No time and medium skills. But i retired and have been working on it. Body, paint, motor, trans and interior done. Last step is top. It has likely not run in 20 years. Fabric is of course gone. There is power to the back relay panel i am told. I have had no luck in Cleveland finding anybody who will take it on. A few questions which i would love some advice. 1) Is this anything a real amateur can take on? If the mechanism works i think there and lots of shops that would do the fabric. 2) Will any of the components still work? 3) Where do you even start? I did buy a new pump. Relays/ Hoses/ Solenoids/Cylinders ?? The switches actually seem to work. 4) Anything else i forgot to ask?
Any comments or advice will be great.
Rob C

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

New wiring harness, from up/down switch back.
Adjusting limit switches, may require fabbing new, stronger easier to adjust brackets. Having the ability for easy Real adjustment which does not bend.
We fabbed a bracket to prevent the "cover over the top" (don't remember the actual name, manual in garage) from sagging when the top is up. It would sag and prevent lowering the top.
A auto upholstery shop should be able to install a new top.

I took the advice and am into it. The relays and wiring look pretty beat up. My first test show one relay working but others seem not to respond. Has anyone ever used the modern relay replacement system-

Might that give me a clean slate to work on the pump, cylinders and flip lid? This is planed as just a weekend driver so i have no concern about it not being original.

Also, i have seen two different answers to pump fluid. Either automatic trans fluid TYPE A or TYPE F. Does it make a difference?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had this car for 15 years. No time and medium skills. But i retired and have been working on it. Body, paint, motor, trans and interior done. Last step is top. It has likely not run in 20 years. Fabric is of course gone. There is power to the back relay panel i am told. I have had no luck in Cleveland finding anybody who will take it on. A few questions which i would love some advice. 1) Is this anything a real amateur can take on? If the mechanism works i think there and lots of shops that would do the fabric. 2) Will any of the components still work? 3) Where do you even start? I did buy a new pump. Relays/ Hoses/ Solenoids/Cylinders ?? The switches actually seem to work. 4) Anything else i forgot to ask?
Any comments or advice will be great.
Rob C
Rob, it seems like there is a lot to it. I can tell you from experience that you are capable of figuring out the relays. First off, I just removed my old relays and put in an electronic relay from ******************** My top works perfect now every time. The relay is electronic and each relay will operate each individual portion of the top just by pushing a button. That's good for trouble shooting, It was easy to install. and when I hit my remote , top switch,,, it works perfectly. The two things to consider are , when you screw down your ground, make sure the metal is clean and down to bare metal, a good solid ground is needed. The other issue is to make sure you check and adjust your limit switches, it is important, if your limit switches are not correct, your top will not function correctly . It is most important. Contact John, he is the owner of Thunderbirdranch auto. He is the guru of t- birds and tops, hes a great guy. what year is yours, mine is a 62. He can tell you how to adjust and repair limit switches and he rebuilds them if they are bad, his electronic relay replacement is the best. Look at it on line and look at his tech page, he tells you everything. Type F or check your pumps manufacture so you don't void warranty by using the wrong stuff. The flip panel is easy, just make sure that the limit switch on the flip is good and adjusted and that the plunger goes in and out real good, if that limit switch isn't correct, nothing from that point forward is going to function correctly. and there's the little screw at the bottom of flip gear box that adjust how far in your tray goes and if there is slop you can adjust it out. The tray activates that one important limit switch. Get ahold of John, buy the trouble shooting guide for convertible tops from birdsnest auto and it even shows you how to jump the relays and make a nice jumper cable for it. If i can be of any help,,, get back to me. I luv my electronic relays 676.00 with shipping and it was really easy to install. Good Luck

Thanks for the advice
I Decided to replace most of the workings. I installed the electronic convertible relay and I love it. After adjusting all the limit switches and lots of cleaning the top goes up and down from the door switch. I replaced the pump, hydraulic cylinders, solenoids and all hoses. Also a new heavy duty flip lid motor .
Last thing is to better adjust the deck and flip lid. There are some stripped bolts that are messing me up. All that affects the way the lock down screws align. This is my winter project that i think will just take time and patience. Maybe have to be creative on the stripped bolts.
I will let you know my results.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took the advice and am into it. The relays and wiring look pretty beat up. My first test show one relay working but others seem not to respond. Has anyone ever used the modern relay replacement system from *****************? Might that give me a clean slate to work on the pump, cylinders and flip lid? This is planed as just a weekend driver so i have no concern about it not being original.

Also, i have seen two different answers to pump fluid. Either automatic trans fluid TYPE A or TYPE F. Does it make a differ

Thanks for the advice
I Decided to replace most of the workings. I installed the electronic convertible relay and I love it. After adjusting all the limit switches and lots of cleaning the top goes up and down from the door switch. I replaced the pump, hydraulic cylinders, solenoids and all hoses. Also a new heavy duty flip lid motor .
Last thing is to better adjust the deck and flip lid. There are some stripped bolts that are messing me up. All that affects the way the lock down screws align. This is my winter project that i think will just take time and patience. Maybe have to be creative on the stripped bolts.
I will let you know my results.

Electronic relay looks close to the one i bought. They are great and tops work so much better

Back