1962 T Bird Play in steering

Status
Not open for further replies.
M
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 1962 T Bird with a little play in the steering. How do I take out some of that play?
Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I would look at the rag joint between the column and the box first. Can get exciting quickly if it fails. Been there, done that, bought the tee shirt.
Bill

Thanks, I will check it out. The car was fully restored in 2005 and I would have thought that would have been replaced during the restoration. Do you have any experience with adjusting the steering box slack ?

Yes, there is an adjustment there. I would go slow on that, maybe a quarter turn at a time as it's easy to overdo.

If you are going to attempt steering box adjustment DO NOT adjust the box with the wheels going straight ahead! If it is determined the box needs adjustment turn the wheels full lock (either side) and make your adjustment. If you find it's still too loose the box needs a rebuild.
Why? Most wear on any steering box is at 1/4 turn from either side of center. If you adjust the box here it will be far too tight once you turn the wheel farther. Galling, binding, and even breakage can occur on overtightened steering boxes.
Adjusting the box is not hard just be patient. Look over everything in the front end. It could be anything from a loose tie rod or ball joint, don't forget to check the mounting bolts for the steering box itself. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back