1962 Steering Gearbox Top Seal

Hadderz

Hadderz

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi does anyone know if the upper seal where the column attaches can be easily replaced without major surgery? If I remove the snap ring are parts going to fly out and never be seen again :)
Thanks
Andy

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Parts won’t fly out, but that is the location of one of the major adjustments on the box. If you change that adjustment, the car may pull left or right afterwards. I highly recommend buying/getting/borrowing a Ford Shop Manual for car.

Parts won’t fly out, but that is the location of one of the major adjustments on the box. If you change that adjustment, the car may pull left or right afterwards. I highly recommend buying/getting/borrowing a Ford Shop Manual for car.
Thanks BigClay
I've a bad re-print of the manual and can see the breakdown, hoped not to have to strip it too much as its only leaking from this upper input shaft. In my dreams I was thiking removing the snap ring and prising out the seal, slotting the new one in and refit. Am I dreaming?

It should be easy if it’s out of the car.....good luck! I replaced my seals three times and finally gave up as it still leaked. I eventually bought a new box.

It should be easy if it’s out of the car.....good luck! I replaced my seals three times and finally gave up as it still leaked. I eventually bought a new box.
oh goody, now that makes me reconsider as I've heard that before! Problem I have is the shipping to the UK is nearly the same as the part cost!

Back