1962 Rear tail and stop light earth connection

Hadderz

Hadderz

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi, recently putting my 62 back together and plugged in the connections to the original loom. On testing, the rear lights were dim and barely brighter on the turn signals. Looking at the wiring diagram it shows the lamps have earth which would be through the lamp holder through the 'buckets' are alloy and don't conduct. Stuffing an earthed wire onto the lamp everything works as it should. What I cannot see is any earth connection it could of had as the bolts which hold it in are through the alloy so cannot provide the earth. Any ideas?
Also found my 'new' stop light switch is stuck on!
Thanks Andy

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Sounds like corrosion between the socket (bulb holder) and the housing assy. You may need to add a ground wire from the sockets to ground to overcome this. Also if you are assembling a recently painted vehicle make sure that paint is not acting as an insulator at a point where two parts touch.

Sounds like corrosion between the socket (bulb holder) and the housing assy. You may need to add a ground wire from the sockets to ground to overcome this. Also if you are assembling a recently painted vehicle make sure that paint is not acting as an insulator at a point where two parts touch.
Hi, thanks but the whole bucket is alloy so doesn't conduct. Thought I was going mad but checked with my multimeter and def doesn't conduct. I've filed the edge of the socket and soldered a wire on both and grounded but how did it originally work?? I've a couple of spare buckets and non have an earth connection.

Back