1962 Pulling on shift lever to get it to crank

F
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
When I try to start the car I have to move the shift knob around until it gets into the perfect position in order to get it to turn over. Is that a normal issue or is something worn out?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

When I try to start the car I have to move the shift knob around until it gets into the perfect position in order to get it to turn over. Is that a normal issue or is something worn out?
I have a similar issue with starting the car, but I release the shift knob to get my convertible top to retract. I'm looking forward to the answer.

It sound like the starter neutral switch needs adjustment or replacement. Dave

Where is the neutral shaft switch located on these cars? I am used to working on trucks where everything is easy to find and get at.

Its on the steering column. I have never seen one before. I am reviewing the shop manual
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The switch is on the bottom side of steering column just under front of dash. It also controls the power top so it can only go down or up in neutral or park. Many times they're just jumped around but I don't recommend it.

Thanks rap! I did not know the top is part of it. Good information to throw in the conversation. Dave

The lazy man in me wants to believe it’s the neutral safety switch. But the amount of slop in the shifter is telling me it’s the detent.

Back