1962 power seat switch not moving up/down

phaelax
Last seen
My driver's seat has a 4-way switch but only moves forward and back. I can hear a motor when I press up/down but nothing moves. I looked underneath and don't really see any mechanism that would make the seat actually move in that direction but I could be wrong. Were these seats adjustable vertically and mine's just broken or what?

I've updated your subject "1962 power seat". Good subjects get better responses. Vague subjects do not.
12604_e634d8db2ff8947fb9e1cd6c7ad78a23.jpg

Last edited:
other model years indicted similar problems and replaced the switch and relay.

Late 1962 to 1963 Ford Thunderbird New Power Seat Switch 4 Way

1961 to Early 1962 Ford Thunderbird New Power Seat Switch 4 Way

s-l400.jpg

But I can hear the motor after pushing the switch in any direction, so I wouldn't think it was a bad switch.
Search the forum, plenty of posts that address this-

Last edited:
I searched through 5 pages of results for "seat", there's really nothing else beyond what you just linked (which is really only 1 other post).

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same problem- turned out to be 65 years of hardened grease, dirt, and gunk on the tracks- get some white lithium grease spray and spray on tracks, help move the seat first with the up/down and front/back switch on and puling the seat through the motions- after the spray you may want to coat on some grease by hand/glove- work it in - takes a few days but you should see results if the relays and motor are engaging good luck!

Back