1962 power seat switch not moving up/down

phaelax
Last seen
My driver's seat has a 4-way switch but only moves forward and back. I can hear a motor when I press up/down but nothing moves. I looked underneath and don't really see any mechanism that would make the seat actually move in that direction but I could be wrong. Were these seats adjustable vertically and mine's just broken or what?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I've updated your subject "1962 power seat". Good subjects get better responses. Vague subjects do not.
12604_e634d8db2ff8947fb9e1cd6c7ad78a23.jpg

Last edited:
other model years indicted similar problems and replaced the switch and relay.

Late 1962 to 1963 Ford Thunderbird New Power Seat Switch 4 Way

1961 to Early 1962 Ford Thunderbird New Power Seat Switch 4 Way

s-l400.jpg

But I can hear the motor after pushing the switch in any direction, so I wouldn't think it was a bad switch.
Search the forum, plenty of posts that address this-

Last edited:
I searched through 5 pages of results for "seat", there's really nothing else beyond what you just linked (which is really only 1 other post).

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same problem- turned out to be 65 years of hardened grease, dirt, and gunk on the tracks- get some white lithium grease spray and spray on tracks, help move the seat first with the up/down and front/back switch on and puling the seat through the motions- after the spray you may want to coat on some grease by hand/glove- work it in - takes a few days but you should see results if the relays and motor are engaging good luck!

Back