1962 Moving the drivers seat back

• Thread starter 1962ThunderbirdRocket
  • Start date

1962ThunderbirdRocket

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
In order to get more legroom, my buddy made me these straps and we anchored them to the seats and threaded the anchor positions, then, we attached the threaded bars to the vehicle from below with grade 8 bolts of differing lengths with washers. Now I can use the steering wheel at a more comfortable distance and use the throttle and brake pedals with ease. Not a cramped position anymore.

the electric seat still moves up, down, back and forth.

Attachments

• 2D8D72BB-45F4-438C-8544-39DEAC57AD39.jpeg
    2D8D72BB-45F4-438C-8544-39DEAC57AD39.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 68B2AF9D-6288-4F1A-8DF5-9E89A7B4882A.png
    68B2AF9D-6288-4F1A-8DF5-9E89A7B4882A.png
    5 MB · Views: 12
  • 61F79F2C-417B-4572-80FA-10DE62F6F2DE.png
    61F79F2C-417B-4572-80FA-10DE62F6F2DE.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 12
  • BCFA5E47-0A5B-4CBD-8DE2-2997F074452F.jpeg
    BCFA5E47-0A5B-4CBD-8DE2-2997F074452F.jpeg
    788.1 KB · Views: 10

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

In order to get more legroom, my buddy made me these straps and we anchored them to the seats and threaded the anchor positions, then, we attached the threaded bars to the vehicle from below with grade 8 bolts of differing lengths with washers. Now I can use the steering wheel at a more comfortable distance and use the throttle and brake pedals with ease. Not a cramped position anymore.

Quite innovative. Hope it's as safe as you describe. As all know on here these cars were not designed for the population that has grown in size over the last 40 years. I've seen many cars where the driver's seat is totally degraded due to not designing in the effect of larger people. I really feel for those who have to deal with public transportation.
I'm only 5'6" and 130 lbs. When I commuted by bus to a job and was one of the first on board I had many larger people sit next to me so they could fit better. The FAA is now altering their standards on how to handle the added weight of the current population. The larger commercial airplanes have weight gages on their landing gear to know what they are hauling. A few years ago there was a private corporate jet that crashed on takeoff due to the executives on board weighed 50 to 100 lbs +over the former FAA estimates and the plane was overloaded. Sometimes it's an advantage to be of smaller stature as I can fit under the dash with my feet up on the seat and have room to tinker.

Quite innovative. Hope it's as safe as you describe. As all know on here these cars were not designed for the population that has grown in size over the last 40 years. I've seen many cars where the driver's seat is totally degraded due to not designing in the effect of larger people. I really feel for those who have to deal with public transportation.
I'm only 5'6" and 130 lbs. When I commuted by bus to a job and was one of the first on board I had many larger people sit next to me so they could fit better. The FAA is now altering their standards on how to handle the added weight of the current population. The larger commercial airplanes have weight gages on their landing gear to know what they are hauling. A few years ago there was a private corporate jet that crashed on takeoff due to the executives on board weighed 50 to 100 lbs +over the former FAA estimates and the plane was overloaded. Sometimes it's an advantage to be of smaller stature as I can fit under the dash with my feet up on the seat and have room to tinker.
Ward,
not a thing wrong with your stature. There are days I see The advantages of not being 6’1” plus I’ve never been agile. As life has continued rheumatoid and osteoarthritis has given me limits…so pushing the seat back to accommodate my knee bending difficulties has proven wonderful. “Life on life’s terms“ as a buddy of mine says.

Ward,
not a thing wrong with your stature. There are days I see The advantages of not being 6’1” plus I’ve never been agile. As life has continued rheumatoid and osteoarthritis has given me limits…so pushing the seat back to accommodate my knee bending difficulties has proven wonderful. “Life on life’s terms“ as a buddy of mine says.
I'm certainly not complaining. My size puts much less stress on my body and I can still contort pretty well. Sometimes I struggle to extricate myself when upside with my feet over the seat back and my head wedged against the brake pedal down under the dash after getting comfortable with enough room to work. My only issue is that at 67 my skin is now thin and when I'm done I have bruises and small skin tears on my arms that I don't even know how I got them.
Plus these wonderfully perplexing machines keep the mind nimble and problem solving skills acute.

I'm certainly not complaining. My size puts much less stress on my body and I can still contort pretty well. Sometimes I struggle to extricate myself when upside with my feet over the seat back and my head wedged against the brake pedal down under the dash after getting comfortable with enough room to work. My only issue is that at 67 my skin is now thin and when I'm done I have bruises and small skin tears on my arms that I don't even know how I got them.
Plus these wonderfully perplexing machines keep the mind nimble and problem solving skills acute.

Ward. Awesome. Yes those skin abrasions at 64 years for me are perplexing but humorous. I wonder as well, what did I scrape next to to start these leaks? And yes. At 6’1” there are places I cannot go. Cannot reach too far under my 62 either. They are so low to the ground. Birds are awesome! This is my first.

I’ve had lots of Mustangs and still do. I’m a Ford guy. Next Friday and Saturday is our communities car event. Vintiques of Yakima, Washington. Can’t wait to see what I see!

Attachments

• C254E66C-33E4-4342-9143-7B39A0685426.jpeg
    C254E66C-33E4-4342-9143-7B39A0685426.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Not sure how to start new post,but yesterday I moved drivers seat back 2 inches.after taking seat out of car unbolt frame from seat,4 bolts.now rear studs are simple ,just measure 2 inches from center of factory hole and drill new holes ,you will have to get new nuts for the stud that go through the frame,now the front bolts are more complicated. I own a welder so I had a piece of angle that came in a garage door kit that was perfect size as angle on seat track ,weld a 2 inch piece on the front and extend the track that bolts to the floor,just clamp it in front of welded nut on frame .measure 2 inches from welded factory nut ,drill hole for stud,when you thread nut on the studs that go through frame just get them started so you will have plenty of length to go through floor.you can get a piece of angle at lowes for 5.00 and if you don't have a welder just take the frame to a body shop or steel shop and ask the to weld it for you.l cut the excess of the front.very simple and cheap.dont forget to put the bolts through the attachment bracket for the seat skirts when reattaching frame back toseat

St

Back