1962 Location of this Dash button

J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi All,
After my 62 survived a divorce and here 3 years later I'm finally getting back to it. Unfortunately I can't seem to remember where everything goes. The purpose of this project was to do everything possible myself and to learn. Currently I am putting the Dash back together, I have a chrome push button left hand side of steering wheel I do not know what or where it gets located. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_20190216_175208.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

When you post to the forum, include the model year of your car in the title and a relevant subject. Thanks for posting.

The best advice I can give is to take pictures before you disassemble. I know this is after the fact, but maybe you can Google around for some pictures of other cars and they might give you a clue. I do this with radios, whenever I get a strange one. In this modern age of cell phones, it costs nothing to take a bunch of photos -- and when finished you can delete them.

I looked at your picture and I cannot think of what that button might be for (that would be original on the car). Is it possibly something someone added later to perform some other function? first thing I would do is disconnect the button from the harness and check to see what kind of switch it is. Is it momentary? is it two position on/off? If it's momentary it would probably operate something like a solenoid to pop something open. If it is on/off type action it might have been put in as a kill switch to short out the ignition circuit to help avert theft of the car. Anyway. once I ascertained what type of switch I would then check the wires to see where they go or what they go to. (You might have success using an ohm meter and checking continuity). If you are daring enough you could try to momentarily apply voltage to the wires to see what switches on/off or makes any clicking sounds.

Was this a running driving car prior to you taking it apart? If so what didn’t work as designed? I’ve put dashes in a few 61s and have never seen any thing like what you have pictured. Worst case I would trace the wires backwards from the switch and see what and where they were tied in

Hi All,
After my 62 survived a divorce and here 3 years later I'm finally getting back to it. Unfortunately I can't seem to remember where everything goes. The purpose of this project was to do everything possible myself and to learn. Currently I am putting the Dash back together, I have a chrome push button left hand side of steering wheel I do not know what or where it gets located. Any help would be appreciated.

View attachment 3232
I have a 63 and I would invest in a shop manual asap. They are a life saver. It looks different than mine but to the left on the column was the emergency brake release, are you sure it is not that switch? Maybe it is not the factory but has been replaced. As mentioned follow the wiring back to where it goes.

I have the shop manual for factory wiring. I bought the car as a rolling body, no engine or trans. I want to say that the guy I bought it from said it was a push button starter, but I also see aftermarket security system wires. Later this week I'll find out what type of switch it is. I think if I check the ignition and if that fails to flow continuity then it probably is to start the engine.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190202_150324.jpg
    MVIMG_20190202_150324.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 0
yes it could totally be for ignition. I have a hidden switch to start my t bird. I turn key to on and hit the switch and she starts up. Maybe there was issue with ignition switch and the PO wired in the aftermarket start switch. It should be easy to trace and find that out.

Back