1962 Ford Bellhousing/starter

F
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have had 2 cracked bell housings on my 390 engine with automatic transmission. JUst installed the 3rd bell housing and a new starter and the pin in the bendix drops out after starting. A tech manual indicates that the bell housing should have a sleeve casted in the housing for the starter to insert into and prevent the pin from flying out. My bell housing is clean in this area. I checked a 1965 ford starter and it has the bendix gear enclosed, but the drive gear looks to be a 1/2" diameter. The original type has approximately a 5/8" drive gear. I am afraid this will eat up the ring gear with the improper mesh. Any recommendations for a correct starter in this application? Thank you.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have had 2 cracked bell housings on my 390 engine with automatic transmission. JUst installed the 3rd bell housing and a new starter and the pin in the bendix drops out after starting. A tech manual indicates that the bell housing should have a sleeve casted in the housing for the starter to insert into and prevent the pin from flying out. My bell housing is clean in this area. I checked a 1965 ford starter and it has the bendix gear enclosed, but the drive gear looks to be a 1/2" diameter. The original type has approximately a 5/8" drive gear. I am afraid this will eat up the ring gear with the improper mesh. Any recommendations for a correct starter in this application? Thank you.

Do you have the stock engine & transmission in the car?

The 1962 starter is the older design and different from a 1965. The 1962 flywheel has 153 teeth, the later years have 184. There's plenty of info on this difference online. Many folks make the mistake of trying to use the later starter on the earlier flywheel/bellhousing. Although it will bolt up it will eventually fail due to the misalignment of the starter and flywheel gears.

You can use the later starter on your '62 bellhousing after you change the flex plate. This makes parts sourcing easier as time goes on. I'll be doing the same thing on my '62.

Can you post a picture of the cracked bellhousing please?

Thank you Harley, it is a stock 390 running gear. I will take a picture of the bell housing. The car is in a shop right now.
The shop mechanic is telling us that he thinks this bell housing should have a collar molded in for the bendix to insert into. Have you seen this before? Did not see the original when it was removed. Thanks again.

I am not near my parts stash, but IF my memory is correct I don't remember a sleeve or bearing surface for the starter. Make sure you get a tooth count on the flex plate before reassembly.

I am not near my parts stash, but IF my memory is correct I don't remember a sleeve or bearing surface for the starter. Make sure you get a tooth count on the flex plate before reassembly.
We have ordered 2 bell housings from the birds nest in Oregon. Neither one had a sleeve

Hap, here are pictures of the cracked bell housing on my 62 Thunderbird with a 390 Engine. Does this model have a Engine Plate that mounts between the bell housing and engine block? I do not have this and believe this could be my problem. Without the Engine Plate (which is steel) the torque of the starter is transmitted to the aluminum bell housing. What do you think???!! Thanks again T Bird Forum.

Attachments

• EDA25AEC-728C-48DF-B79A-C4C90BBC4EE9.jpeg
    EDA25AEC-728C-48DF-B79A-C4C90BBC4EE9.jpeg
    320 KB · Views: 2
  • 03E29574-2AF1-4290-8329-E104EA6A5770.jpeg
    03E29574-2AF1-4290-8329-E104EA6A5770.jpeg
    355.4 KB · Views: 2
  • D2AA42C1-B09A-4DBA-AB18-96AEBA0430F6.jpeg
    D2AA42C1-B09A-4DBA-AB18-96AEBA0430F6.jpeg
    446.4 KB · Views: 2
To me, definitely a starter issue. I THINK you should have a steel spacer plate, but I don't believe it is the cause of the issue. I really THINK you have a starter/ flex plate problem. ( Once in a while I have made mistakes) like maybe the larger flex plate and a reverse engage starter.

To me, definitely a starter issue. I THINK you should have a steel spacer plate, but I don't believe it is the cause of the issue. I really THINK you have a starter/ flex plate problem. ( Once in a while I have made mistakes) like maybe the larger flex plate and a reverse engage starter.
OK. The shop has installed a used bell housing and we have a new starter from NAPA. It starts with no noise or growling from the bendix. The teeth on the starter bendix were engaging almost completely. I just wonder about the strength of that housing. The steel plate would relieve my anxiety. BUT, the labor cost to drop that trans AGAIN, YUK….

Fasteddy,

There is NO steel plate used in 1962 - that came later. There IS supposed to be a rubber/metal O-ring shim installed between the starter and bellhousing - do you know if your mechanic installed it? Have you confirmed that you have the 153-tooth flywheel?

I have a few starter threads on the other Thunderbird forum (apparently I can't mention it here). Nor can I post a link to my thread, apparently against this Forum's rules. Instead, go to that other Thunderbird forum (Vintage ******************************). Do a search for my username (kbuhagiar).

I've been through the same headaches as you and I documented my findings on the other forum.

Fasteddy,

There is NO steel plate used in 1962 - that came later. There IS supposed to be a rubber/metal O-ring shim installed between the starter and bellhousing - do you know if your mechanic installed it? Have you confirmed that you have the 153-tooth flywheel?

I have a few starter threads on the other Thunderbird forum (apparently I can't mention it here). Nor can I post a link to my thread, apparently against this Forum's rules. Instead, go to that other Thunderbird forum (Vintage ******************************). Do a search for my username (kbuhagiar).

I've been through the same headaches as you and I documented my findings on the other forum.
I just read that forum. Will be checking the boss on the block to confirm year of engine to mount the alternator tomorrow. I have a generator mounted so it may be a 62 block. Thank you for your insight.

Back