1962 Electronic ignition Pertronix Vs HEI Dizzy swap

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Hadderz

Hadderz

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Looking at upgrading from points to either the Pertronix or replacing the dizzy with an HEI type. Any thoughts, the price of either is very similar though if I use the Pertronix it would be more expensive then buying the correct coil etc. I'm in the UK so comparing both options available to me here. Obviously the HEI I'll get a whole new distributor which could be good or bad??? Thanks.

When I rebuilt my 56 I kept or installed all original components and stayed with the points/condenser system and kept it that way for almost 20 years. Last year I decided to switch to Petronix and absolutely love it. Everything looks original and the only way you'd know it's not would be by removing the distributor cap. No more timing or adjusting points necessary and the engine runs better and smoother than it ever did plus, it was an easy install.
Good luck.

Agree completely with “red toy” and besides that it’s a super easy conversion

If you fit a Pertronix, do you have to reset timing etc?
Re a HEI Dizzy, its not an original look I'm concerned about, just reliability and a good running engine.

Actually did the timing before the install. Got it spot on then installed the unit and given the unit as a set dwell angle between 25-29 (if I remember correctly) then the timing should never have to be done again at least I hope so.

:) And once again agree completely with “Redtoy”
He must be a pretty smart guy

Thanks for the kind words 1957Bird but I'm not sure about "pretty smart" but let's say I've learned a lot over the years working on my 56 like everybody that owns 1 of these and I try to do it all by myself given I have the time, the patience and I enjoy the work.

Looking at upgrading from points to either the Pertronix or replacing the dizzy with an HEI type. Any thoughts, the price of either is very similar though if I use the Pertronix it would be more expensive then buying the correct coil etc. I'm in the UK so comparing both options available to me here. Obviously the HEI I'll get a whole new distributor which could be good or bad??? Thanks.
I have '57 little bird. I have had various Mustangs and Falcons. I have been quite successful in installing Pertronix conversions. I find them to be reliable. I have replaced on in my '57 in 25+ years of ownership. Pertronix is not a new company. They were known as Perlux in the 60s. You need not replace the coil with the base Pertonix conversion, If you go with the Pertronix II then a coil replacement is advised. At any rate good luck to you. J.

I love the British with their language about cars.

Even with an electronic conversion, you will need to occasionally check the timing and adjust to compensate for timing chain stretch.
Both options are very good, Pertronix may be easier.

I love the British with their language about cars.
Yep we have to think that the front wings are fenders, the bonnet is a hood and the trunk is the boot as well as stating the 'drivers' side is the left and not right!! o_O Andy

Yep we have to think that the front wings are fenders, the bonnet is a hood and the trunk is the boot as well as stating the 'drivers' side is the left and not right!! o_O Andy
sorry, the boot is the trunk!

Back