1962 convertible top works without the ignition key turned to run or acc

Instigator

Instigator

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My bird has just come back from the body shop for repairs. Everything was working ok on the top when it went in, but now the top will operate with the selector switch, but the ignition key can be in the off, run or accessory position. I've checked the wiring diagram and it appears that the neutral safety switch relay may be at fault. I would like to remove it to test it, but not sure its location. I think it is under the dash and found two electric boxes that are attached to the firewall. They do not look like any of the catalog pictures of a new one and the number of wires is different. I have checked my manuals, checked online and called a couple of parts suppliers to no avail. If anyone can tell me what it looks like and the location, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

My bird has just come back from the body shop for repairs. Everything was working ok on the top when it went in, but now the top will operate with the selector switch, but the ignition key can be in the off, run or accessory position. I've checked the wiring diagram and it appears that the neutral safety switch relay may be at fault. I would like to remove it to test it, but not sure its location. I think it is under the dash and found two electric boxes that are attached to the firewall. They do not look like any of the catalog pictures of a new one and the number of wires is different. I have checked my manuals, checked online and called a couple of parts suppliers to no avail. If anyone can tell me what it looks like and the location, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
My 1961 Convert works without the Key on since Bought in 2017. No problems and can be convenient when doing things on the car.

Back