1962 Brake pipe material recommendations

F
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello
My father-in-law has a 1962 ford thunderbird that hasn't been driven in about 10 years.
Now we are trying to get it ready for next summer.

The brake pipes that go under the car are very rusty and should be replaced. What pipe should we use?
I've done some brake pipe work before but then only on "modern" cars and then I've always used copper pipes.
I got the shop manual for the 1962 thunderbird and in the brake section it says not to use copper pipes, why not?
20230208_190711.jpg20230208_190701.jpg
I've seen that you can order pre-ordered stainless steel pipes, but unfortunately I can't find anyone selling them in
Europe and I'm guessing shipping from the US would be too expensive.
What tools do you need to make your own brake pipes from stainless steel?
What size are the nipples on the pipes? Do you use the same nipples for different pipe materials?

With the price of copper now, I doubt many people would do that anyway.

Copper is usually too soft to handle the pressure. It's a safety thing. You can use standard steel tubing and with a flaring tool and little practice make them yourself.

Hello
My father-in-law has a 1962 ford thunderbird that hasn't been driven in about 10 years.
Now we are trying to get it ready for next summer.

The brake pipes that go under the car are very rusty and should be replaced. What pipe should we use?
I've done some brake pipe work before but then only on "modern" cars and then I've always used copper pipes.
I got the shop manual for the 1962 thunderbird and in the brake section it says not to use copper pipes, why not?
View attachment 26259View attachment 26260
I've seen that you can order pre-ordered stainless steel pipes, but unfortunately I can't find anyone selling them in
Europe and I'm guessing shipping from the US would be too expensive.
What tools do you need to make your own brake pipes from stainless steel?
What size are the nipples on the pipes? Do you use the same nipples for different pipe materials?
I would not use copper for safety reasons. I would use steel tubing or stainless steel tubing. Approximate lengths may be available at a local auto parts store. With regular steel tubing you can make up exact lengths but you will need a double flaring tool. You should keep in mind that fittings will be SAE and not metric for your 1962 Ford Thunderbird.

I would not use copper for safety reasons. I would use steel tubing or stainless steel tubing. Approximate lengths may be available at a local auto parts store. With regular steel tubing you can make up exact lengths but you will need a double flaring tool. You should keep in mind that fittings will be SAE and not metric for your 1962 Ford Thunderbird.
If you are not that handy and flaring connections takes a bit of experience. I'd search for pre-made options. There are many. Just be aware the prices may surprise you, but the price is determined by its value.

Unless you have experience with stainless tubing, I would suggest staying away from using it as it can be difficult to flare and get a good seal. Ordinary steel 3/16 brake tubing is the best for a beginner. You will need a tubing bender and a flare tool. Don't get a cheap flare tool. On thea market now is a very easy to bend steel alloy tubing that is ideal for a beginner. If you can, I would strongly suggest getting pre-mde brake tubing.

As the others have said, copper tubing should not be used for brake lines.

Unless you have experience with stainless tubing, I would suggest staying away from using it as it can be difficult to flare and get a good seal. Ordinary steel 3/16 brake tubing is the best for a beginner. You will need a tubing bender and a flare tool. Don't get a cheap flare tool. On thea market now is a very easy to bend steel alloy tubing that is ideal for a beginner. If you can, I would strongly suggest getting pre-mde brake tubing.

I totally agree. I'm a pretty good shade tree mechanic but when it comes to brake lines, get the pre-made ones and then just have to deal with the connections. Minor adjustments are expected.

BE sure you get a DOUBLE FLARING tool

Back