1961 - Rear air conditioning unit (Mark IV)

N
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The 1961 I just purchased has a Mark IV air-conditioning unit installed. Was this installed by the dealer or the factory? If it was a dealer option, what period did they offer the units?

The vents are located in the package tray.

Any information on this unit would be appreciated.

Thank you. When would this unit have been offered? Around the early 60's or later?

I think Vintage Air
still has the rights to the old Mitchell "Mark IV" systems. If you want/need parts they may have them. They still sell a version of your unit. I know John E. Mitchell's company that made your Mark IV has evolved into the "ICEE" company that sells slushie drinks to this day.

Thank you. When would this unit have been offered? Around the early 60's or later?
Probably near the time when it was new. I remember quite a few cars with rear ducts for air conditioning. Clear plastic. Might have been available on Cadillacs but I do not remember any of my folks Caddies having them.

Air Conditioning was an option on Thunderbirds beginning in 1958. The optional factory A/C unit had its single vent in the center of the dash pad above the radio on 1958-1960 T-Birds. From 1961 thru 1963 the A/C single vent was in the Chromed ribbed panel below the radio and above the console.

The 1961 I just purchased has a Mark IV air-conditioning unit installed. Was this installed by the dealer or the factory? If it was a dealer option, what period did they offer the units?

The vents are located in the package tray.

Any information on this unit would be appreciated.

I'm fascinated by this - is this a conventional AC unit that had ducting up to the rear shelf, or a unit that was mounted in the trunk?

I also have this unit installed in my 63. The exit duct and directional vents (Plastic) have been destroyed by the sun and are beyond salvage. I would be interested in any parts available out there or option suggestions. Want to keep it original as posibble

Attachments

• 20210914_171953.jpg
    20210914_171953.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I remember My Grandmother's '60 Lincoln had the rear vents in the front door handles.
I might search for custom shops in your area. With all the shows I've watched these guys are clever. In something that is non critical I wouldn't worry about original but something that is functional and I bet nobody would know the difference.

I decided to pull the Mark IV system out and return the car to its original state. I just couldn't get used to the duct work jutting out from the rear package tray.

I also have this unit installed in my 63. The exit duct and directional vents (Plastic) have been destroyed by the sun and are beyond salvage. I would be interested in any parts available out there or option suggestions. Want to keep it original as posibble
Did you contact Vintage Air? As I said it is now their product. The Mitchell Mark IV was popular enough, and they still install a similar system for 1940's cars to this day. They stock the old parts too - at least they still did last I ckecked.

Did you contact Vintage Air? As I said it is now their product. The Mitchell Mark IV was popular enough, and they still install a similar system for 1940's cars to this day. They stock the old parts too - at least they still did last I ckecked.
Thank you! I will check them out

I decided to remove the unit altogether, replace the rear package tray, and the aluminum dash pieces and return the car to factory condition.

Back