1961 plastic seat covering removable?

I just got my grandpa's 61 thunderbird. All the seats (except the back of driver) has clear custom fit plastic installed with hog rings... it's this a normal thing? I was going to remove it, because it is old and yellowed and it looks like the seats underneath will be amazing.

20200630_135208.jpg 20200630_135213.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Back in the day, people would put this on their furniture and car upholstery, aftermarket of course.

PS Please add the model year to the subject on future posts. I added for you.

modelyear.jpg

I would go for it, and like Bond says, be cautious. I definitely think you will be in for a pleasant surprise, friend of mine inherited a 67 Caprice from his grandmother, had the same yellowing seat covers, we ripped those suckers off (nothing stuck, it all ca,me right off) and presto, it was like getting brand new upholstery.

Good luck and keep us posted with the results!

My son and I had to remove the seats. When the plastic was put on they basically did it to perfection and it was installed as if it were the actual vinyl/clothe covers.

Nothing was sticking at all. The old plastic was stinky though so this should make the car smell much better!

Underneath the plastic it really is like new! It is very supple and there are no stains. I'm guessing this was installed at the dealership or shortly thereafter.
20200701_111324.jpg 20200701_111817.jpg 20200701_111824.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: