1961 maximum rim size.

Sargent_Arthur

Sargent_Arthur

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello,

I converted my rear drum brakes to disc, and my old rims no longer fit the car. I was looking at buying American Racing Torq Thrusts M rims in 17' and was wondering if they would even fit, what width, and what back spacing would clear the wheel wells.

Also I'm trying to clear an 11' disc rotor with a medium size caliper.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Since we are an all Ford Thunderbird site, you can omit " Ford Thunderbird" from your subjects to shorten it on future posts. Edited.

Hello,

I converted my rear drum brakes to disc, and my old rims no longer fit the car. I was looking at buying American Racing Torq Thrusts M rims in 17' and was wondering if they would even fit, what width, and what back spacing would clear the wheel wells.

Also I'm trying to clear an 11' disc rotor with a medium size caliper.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I am presuming that you originally had 14 inch wheels. The car did not come with disc brakes front or rear. The wheel rim is not desgned for disc brakes. If you use later mid/late 60s and newer wheels they wil have a different profile to accept disc brakes. A change to 15 inch wheels or larger will also solve your problem. The cheapest solution may be using a 1/4 or 5/16 inch spacer between wheel and hub. One cveat about using a spacer is that with skirts you may not have sufficient tire to skirt clearance. Or go sporty and go sans skirts.

I was surprised when these 18"x7.5", 225/45/18 fit on my 1958. They have a 0 offset, no spacers or anything. The wheels i took off were 14x5.5 spoke rims with 195/75/14 whitewalls. Offset of 25.4mm.Before and after below. When putting them on i was a bit nervous i was getting to close to the rear wheel well, but after taking it off the jack had plenty of clearance. I'm doing the same thing you are, converting my drums to disc, but went in reverse order.

Attachments

• IMG_0195.JPG
    IMG_0195.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0196.JPG
    IMG_0196.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0187.JPG
    IMG_0187.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0186.JPG
    IMG_0186.JPG