1961 dash removal and gauge cluster problems

Sargent_Arthur

Sargent_Arthur

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello,

I have been trying to figure out how to remove the dash in my 61 TBird. The manual I have tells me where all the bolts are but that's about it. I have never removed a entire dash before on any car so I'm clueless on where I need to start.

I am also having two problems and that is the none of the guages work. I even when I move the car around it doesn't show me my speed, I can never tell how much fuel I have. Also the guage back lights aren't working I already replaced all the bulbs. But still nothing. I think it's a fuse or regulator but this is my first real old school project car.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The speedometer is cable driven. May it is not connected. Dash lights could be a bad headlight switch.
What is the problem that you need to remove the complete dash? I have done it but it has been many years. My memory says it was a pain but I did it.

I need the dash out to get to, the cars A/C and heater core, and I need to get to the wipers. I will add that the head lights do turn on but not the dash lights.

As far as the lights go, there is a wire coil that controls the dash lights that often breaks or rusts through, resulting in no dash lights. If your manual gives all of your fastener locations start at the top and work your way down. If I remember correctly you may have to unbolt the steering column from the lower dash mount.

It’s common for the headlight switch to loose the panel lights as mentioned. The gauges could be the voltage regulator which is behind the clock. To remove the dash is a big job. The gauges have to come out so remove the them first - then the chrome housing (bolted from behind). Speaker, radio, centre consul trims, side cushions and trims. The heater controls have a couple of bolts, under the sides and one centre accessed through the speaker hole. Losen the steering column fixings to drop the column as it attaches to the dash frame. Some of the wiring is clipped so check that. This makes it sound easy, it’s not! I removed the centre consul too. That can be done prior and makes it easier. It’s the side screws, and under the plastic armrest. Note it pulls up leaving the side stainless trims attached to the floor!

Hello,

I have been trying to figure out how to remove the dash in my 61 TBird. The manual I have tells me where all the bolts are but that's about it. I have never removed a entire dash before on any car so I'm clueless on where I need to start.

I am also having two problems and that is the none of the guages work. I even when I move the car around it doesn't show me my speed, I can never tell how much fuel I have. Also the guage back lights aren't working I already replaced all the bulbs. But still nothing. I think it's a fuse or regulator but this is my first real old school project car.
70B7CA7B-59CE-48F7-B67B-EFD5E1442186.jpeg920FA2F4-7F7C-41A3-98E0-833D6479E5B0.jpeg5DE80BFA-B7DB-4DF2-8025-7A4EE1596257.jpeg9E2FE6B6-6F05-44C2-99DC-AAC96C7A7E46.jpegF3537EA7-6B8E-4BA7-B349-7609CDB412A3.jpeg9B9247D0-2146-4AFD-B9DD-FD788B45C787.jpeg13163C9F-2324-4171-9D91-45983D549E3A.jpeg6AAB5B51-193C-424E-91B7-721EE12C9CE7.jpegHere are pix from replacing the heater core in my ‘61. you have to remove the trim pieces around the aluminum first, then remove the bottom vinyl piece with the 3 screws under the footwell. Then remove the aluminum panel which is screwed and taped in place. Then remove the black panel shown in these pix. The heater core and fan are behined there. I do not have AC but you can reach the controls through the opening in the middle of the dash as seen here. Let me know if you have anyother questions I can help with. Mike

One suggestion to save your back is to remove the front seats first and lay a moving pad or blanket on the floor on each side. I installed a dash on a 63 many years ago just using the assembly manuals that some parts dealers sell. The car was bare on the interior when I started.

Back