1961 cold startup engine noise in Park

M
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi guys, lurker here and very grateful for all the expertise. I've owned my '61 for a little under 2 years and yesterday took her out for the first time since probably November. There was a loud noise coming from the engine bay that only occurred while in Park. It eventually went away completely and she was quiet and normal for the rest of the ride. I've attached a short video of the noise. Any thoughts? Thank you!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Your fan doesn't appear to be turning fast enough, start by checking belt tension and play in the water pump.

I Definitely would check the water pump to make sure anything in that areas is not loose! . Does it have hydraulic lifter? Could one have been stuck? Do it make noise if it’s been sitting for a day?

I Definitely would check the water pump to make sure anything in that areas is not loose! . Does it have hydraulic lifter? Could one have been stuck? Do it make noise if it’s been sitting for a day?
I'm hearing water pump frequently, will check that. Not sure if it has a hydraulic lifter? How do i determine that? Thanks!

Your car has 16 hydraulic lifters, one for each valve. That didn't sound like lifters to me.

Back