1960 Windshield washer pump not pumping fluid

jpannier

jpannier

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Even tho' my windshield washer pump seems to be working it does not pump the fluid. I can hear it running when I turn it on but that's it. My mechanic says I need a new pump. Has anyone else experienced this? Also, attached are a few pictures of the switch for the washer pump. Is this stock?? It's on the side of the dash just forward of the driver's side door. It does not look stock. It looks to me like it was added later. If it's not stock where is it supposed to be located?20230405_123203.jpg20230405_123213.jpg20230405_123221.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

That switch doesn't appear stock. It should not be a toggle switch.
If the pump runs have you checked for line blockages?
The nozzles could also be plugged.

That switch doesn't appear stock. It should not be a toggle switch.
If the pump runs have you checked for line blockages?
The nozzles could also be plugged.
Thank you for your response. I will definitely check those both out. However, I did not see any evidence of that. Perhaps I'll just change the lines to be on the safe side. So, where would the stock switch be located? They weren't on the turn signal back then.

I believe you "pushed" the wiper control knob in.

Thank you for your response. I will definitely check those both out. However, I did not see any evidence of that. Perhaps I'll just change the lines to be on the safe side. So, where would the stock switch be located? They weren't on the turn signal

I believe you "pushed" the wiper control knob in.
Did some more research and found that a washer system was actually an option. Found this on another forum. "The window washer system on the Tbird was certainly not one of its good features. As memory serves me, that system was mounted down by the generator and ran off the belt to it." The control switch for it was located where the toggle switch on mine is located. My system was replaced with an electric motor and, hence, the toggle switch. Very interesting. See the attached picture.

Attachments

• 9a. washer control switch.jpg
    9a. washer control switch.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 8
If the pump will run but will not move fluid it is most likely a blocked line - you should check it from the reservoir and pump inlet/outlet all the way to the cowl nozzles (applying low pressure air (like from a can used to clean computer keyboards) or hooking to another low pressure pump would help). If the inlet, outlet, lines and nozzles are not clogged then the pump has probably failed (even though it sounds like its working). Also, cowl nozzles occasionally get painted over during resto work or will clog with debris (the holes are smaller than a mouse's ear).

Back