1960 rear power window won't go back up

D
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi all. Have a 1960 t bird. Put the rear window down and now won’t go back up. Switch bad? Or something else? Thanks in advance

Subject updated from "1960 t bird rear window" to "1960 rear power window won't go back up". Good subjects get more responses.
12604_e634d8db2ff8947fb9e1cd6c7ad78a23.jpg

Hi all. Have a 1960 t bird. Put the rear window down and now won’t go back up. Switch bad? Or something else? Thanks in advance
I had similar problem on my 62. Do both the drivers door rear switch and the switch by the rear window not work up & down.

I had similar problem on my 62. Do both the drivers door rear switch and the switch by the rear window not work up & down.
I’ll have to see, didn’t try the others. What was the problem with yours Rob?

It looks like some use of a multi-meter or at least a volt meter are in your future you could even use an ice-pick. Oh yes, some disassembly as well. If power is good to the switch then go from there towards the window. It might be as simple as a bad ground or wire connection. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

On my 60 the switch needs a little wiggling to get the rear driver up, I found pressing on it with slight pressure will get the widow to roll up. Not bad enough yet for me to replace/rebuild the switch. You can test for power at the switch and also test for resistance on the motor side of switch to see if there is continuity back to the motor. Infinity reading means there is a wiring issue between switch and motor or bad motor.

I’ll have to see, didn’t try the others. What was the problem with yours Rob?
With mine, all windows went UP & DOWN from the driver controls. but right passenger would go down but not up from the passenger door switch. Turned out to be a single broken wire near the door hinge.

Sometimes the contacts in the switch get gummed up and dirty. I had the problem with my dash light rheostat. Got under there with a mechanic's mirror and squirted just a little PB Blaster on the rheostat and it worked. Adjustable working dash lights again.
Might try that with your switch if wiggling it gets intermittent contact. Plus it doesn't collect dust like WD 40. WD stands for water displacement formula 40. So never use it in locks where dust would cause a problem.

Last edited:
Back