1960 no brake lights unless headlights on

Mike124

Mike124

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My brake lights don’t work unless I have the headlights on. I believe it’s the switch on the master cylinder. Is there a way to test it to see if it is bad?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

You will get more responses if you have a better title. "1960 brake lights" could mean anything. I updated it.

model-year.jpg

It most likely not the switch if they do work with the headlights on. Your problem is where the power comes from. The brake lights should have constant power even with the lights and ignition off. they are miss-wired.

Have you tried checking your regulator? I've had something close to that, so I installed a new regulator and I no longer have any issues with it.

Maybe you have a bad ground in the brake light system.

I have exactly the same problem. I have a 1957 T-bird. All the lights worked correctly including brake lights. until I brought the car home from getting a front end alignment. I realize getting a front end alignment hasn't got anything to do with the brake light circuit. This car has 4 miles on odometer since frame off restoration.

I have exactly the same problem. I have a 1957 T-bird. All the lights worked correctly including brake lights. until I brought the car home from getting a front end alignment. I realize getting a front end alignment hasn't got anything to do with the brake light circuit. This car has 4 miles on odometer since frame off restoration.
It's possible you didn't notice it until you got it back home. Probably a wrong connection on the light switch.

Back