1960 Exhaust has black liquid

ClassicReagan

ClassicReagan

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
After a week or two of not starting my Thunderbird, I decided to start it today, but whenever I got it started, I noticed that the exhaust had some kind of black liquid (Little specks) coming out of it. I’ve never had this problem before so any help would be greatly appreciated.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Not unusual in a humid climate. As the exhaust system cools it collects condensation. Hence the tiny drain holes in the rear of quality mufflers. The issue you have is soot from running too rich. The exhaust drippage should be clear but it is normal.

My ‘57 has the same issue. I noticed it this summer when, after having not started the car for a week or so, I fired it up and immediately walked behind the car to go get something while it was warming up. I happened to be wearing light colored pants at the time and noticed little black dots all over my shins. I put two and two together and figured out it must have been some kind of discharge from the exhaust. I happened to have an appointment with a mechanic that morning and he said the same thing Ward57 said: in a perfect world, the exhaust discharge should be clear, but not at all unusual to have small amounts of black soot upon first start up after a period of sitting in a humid climate. He did not mention that running too rich is an additional contributing factor, but that certainly makes sense since it’s still doing it whenever the car has sat for an extended period. Given that, I might try adjusting my choke and mixture to lean it out a bit see if that affects the soot from the exhaust. Then again, I might just ignore it because the car is otherwise running fine and since it’s now getting cold, so (1) I assume I’d want things on the slightly richer rather than slightly too lean side in colder weather and (2) I won’t be wearing khakis again any time soon here in the soon-to-be frozen northeast USA! :)

My ‘57 has the same issue. I noticed it this summer when, after having not started the car for a week or so, I fired it up and immediately walked behind the car to go get something while it was warming up. I happened to be wearing light colored pants at the time and noticed little black dots all over my shins. I put two and two together and figured out it must have been some kind of discharge from the exhaust. I happened to have an appointment with a mechanic that morning and he said the same thing Ward57 said: in a perfect world, the exhaust discharge should be clear, but not at all unusual to have small amounts of black soot upon first start up after a period of sitting in a humid climate. He did not mention that running too rich is an additional contributing factor, but that certainly makes sense since it’s still doing it whenever the car has sat for an extended period. Given that, I might try adjusting my choke and mixture to lean it out a bit see if that affects the soot from the exhaust. Then again, I might just ignore it because the car is otherwise running fine and since it’s now getting cold, so (1) I assume I’d want things on the slightly richer rather than slightly too lean side in colder weather and (2) I won’t be wearing khakis again any time soon here in the soon-to-be frozen northeast USA! :)
In trying to diagnose my vacuum I advanced my choke one notch, so it idles at about 800rm 'till I kick it down. and adjusted the idle mixture. Purrs like a kitten.

Funny thing about the whole wet sooty exhaust upon start up. T Bird sits in a corner of the garage, backed right up to the white wall :-(
I leave 2 scrap pieces of cardboard leaned up against the wall for the summer.
Now that cooler drier weather has set in here up in the northeast I’m not seeing nearly as much moisture on the cardboard upon startup. It’s all good as we use the car quite frequently in season.

Not uncommon. When last driven and shut down, condensation can develop in the exhaust system and then when restarted the condensation and soot are blown out.
The cause is usually caused by running rich from short trips before the choke pulls off. if it happens after shut down from a longer trip and fully warmed up you might check that the choke is not opening fully.

Not uncommon. When last driven and shut down, condensation can develop in the exhaust system and then when restarted the condensation and soot are blown out.
The cause is usually caused by running rich from short trips before the choke pulls off. if it happens after shut down from a longer trip and fully warmed up you might check that the choke is not opening fully.
Is there any way to fix the condensation in the exhaust, I normally drive it 5-7 miles a week, it could also be me not setting the choke right, I was told to press the gas pedal down 3-4 times to set the choke

Hm. Have you tried adjusting the fast idle speed and the idle mixture? Adjusting the choke? (Not “setting” the choke by pressing the gas pedal; adjusting the choke’s operation.). When I first started learning how to adjust my carb, I found this article to be useful: https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/the-lost-art-of-choke-adjustment. I then read a lot more and watch a lot of videos; can post some links, but it’s hard to know what info would be helpful without knowing exactly what you’ve already done.

And, of course, it’s also useful to have the instruction manual for your specific carburetor. (I don’t think you said which carb you have.)

Condensation is literally caused by the moisture in the air. Much more noticeable in the winter, this is normal. Nothing you can do to eliminate it.

Longer trips at high way speeds will help. Brings the exhaust system up to operating temp for a longer amount of time and will help with burning out the moisture and soot.

Back