1960 coolant leak into transmission

jpannier

jpannier

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I was on my way to a car show this past weekend when all of a sudden blue smoke was trailing behind me. I stopped immediately and popped the hood to find transmission fluid all over the right side of the engine and on the underside of the hood. I had it towed back to my house since the garage I was taking it to in a week did not have space to keep it before he was able to look at it. This Monday I will have it towed to his shop. The blue smoke, I believe, was from the ATF spraying on the manifold. I could feel something wasn't right with the transmission when it happened. When I got it back home I checked the ATF only to find out that it was no longer a clear red fluid but, a milky pink. I did start it and drove it a couple of miles around the neighborhood. It seemed okay at that point. But, after researching it I do believe the radiator failed and the coolant leaked into the transmission. I'm pretty sure I will have to replace the radiator. My biggest concern is the transmission going to need replaced or rebuilt? Has anyone else experienced this and what was your outcome? Also, wouldn't having a separate transmission cooler (assuming one would fit) in front of the radiator completely eliminate this in the future? ?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Flush it out and refill with new fluid.
Good to go.
Not to worry

Yes you could put an auxiliary trans cooler on but you issue is a fairly rare occurrence. A new radiator and good maintenance will cure it for a good 20 years or so.

I was on my way to a car show this past weekend when all of a sudden blue smoke was trailing behind me. I stopped immediately and popped the hood to find transmission fluid all over the right side of the engine and on the underside of the hood. I had it towed back to my house since the garage I was taking it to in a week did not have space to keep it before he was able to look at it. This Monday I will have it towed to his shop. The blue smoke, I believe, was from the ATF spraying on the manifold. I could feel something wasn't right with the transmission when it happened. When I got it back home I checked the ATF only to find out that it was no longer a clear red fluid but, a milky pink. I did start it and drove it a couple of miles around the neighborhood. It seemed okay at that point. But, after researching it I do believe the radiator failed and the coolant leaked into the transmission. I'm pretty sure I will have to replace the radiator. My biggest concern is the transmission going to need replaced or rebuilt? Has anyone else experienced this and what was your outcome? Also, wouldn't having a separate transmission cooler (assuming one would fit) in front of the radiator completely eliminate this in the future? ?
The same think happened to me on my expedition. This was a failure of the radiator. The trans seemed ok but checking on the condition of the trans they said the coolant ruins the seals in the trans but doesnt ruin the trans. So they took it apart cleaned it and resealed it and it is fine. Did not rebuild it. They reccomended to not use the radiator for cooling of the trans fluid, but to use an external cooler for trans cooling and it works just fine. We use the truck for boat towing and we connected an external temperture montering devise viewably with a smart phone to monator the temp especially when towing. We have found as long as you keep moving its well within a acceptial heat range, even in 90 degree weather.
Hope this helps

Back