1960 Brake Master Cylinder

John W.
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Does anyone actually have the Bendix "Stop Sign" brake booster with a 1-1/8" bore master cylinder mounted on it? I have been told, and many printed sources say that all power brake equipped 1960 thunderbirds using either Kelsey-Hayes or Bendix boosters had 1-1/8" bore master cylinders, while the 1" bore cylinders were used only on manual brake equipped cars.

In practice, I have found this to be wrong. The 1" bore master cylinders have a collar which fits into the front of the Bendix booster. This collar is 1-1/2" in diameter. The 1-1/8" bore cylinders also have a collar but it is 1-5/8" diameter and thus will not fit the Bendix booster. I have found 1-1/8" bore cylinders only with K-H boosters and 0nly 1" cylinders with Bendix boosters.

My theory is that for 1960 Thunderbird the 1-1/8" bore master cylinders were used only with the Kelsey-Hayes boosters while the 1" bore master cylinders were used on all other applications: both manual brakes and Bendix power assisted.

Can anyone prove me wrong? I'm just trying to get the correct m/c for my 'Bird and it's driving me nuts.

John W. 60 HT

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Actually this was 2 questions. The problem with the transmission dipstick is limited to being too hot to remove with bare hands. Just curious if this was normal.

Back