1959 White wall tire recommendations

Dick ten Brinke

Dick ten Brinke

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Hello, i have 59 thunderbird convertible, looking for white wall tires and found kontio tires. Does anyone has any experience with this brand?
They look nice but i don't know how they drive?
kontio.JPGKontio WhitePaw Classic 205/75 R14 98R WW 65mm

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hello, i have 59 thunderbird convertible, looking for white wall tires and found kontio tires. Does anyone has any experience with this brand?
View attachment 17280Kontio WhitePaw Classic 205/75 R14 98R WW 65mm
This is a relatively new addition to the classic tire scene. The tires are made in Finland so at least they are not CHI-COM made. (not a political statement, just based on my experience with Chinese made auto parts and accessories) Buy a set and let us know!!

This is a relatively new addition to the classic tire scene. The tires are made in Finland so at least they are not CHI-COM made. (not a political statement, just based on my experience with Chinese made auto parts and accessories) Buy a set and let us know!!
I know what you mean, I was getting ready to move and my old tires were so old & brittle one went flat and crumbled while sitting in the garage. I was in a hurry so I got some cheap Chinese tires and within six months the whitewalls started turning yellow and no mater what I try I just can't get them bright white again.

Your subject "White wall tires" does not summarize your post or include the model year of car. Please follow the posting prompts moving forward. I have updated your subject to reflect what your post is about and added the model year, 1959.
Summarize-Post.jpg

I have been buying Diamond Back tires for years. They make a really nice radial tire with a superior whitewall. They also use brands, such as Toyo as a core. For my '65, they make the red/white dual stripe. What is nice about them is that they vulcanize the whitewall onto the existing tire carcass. I just replaced the dual stripes on my '65, and the old DB tire whitewall/redwalls were still bright and crisp, and they were 19 years old! (I know - I waited WAY too long!) I also replaced the Coker wide whites on my E-Code '57, and the new DB tires were tremendously whiter than the old Cokers. I also just put new red stripe DB tires on my '68 Cougar convertible (yeah, I know they never made them but I have one), The nice thing about DB is they use true radial segment-molded tires, vs the ancient clamshell mold that Cokers uses on a lot of their tires. Makes for a much truer belt location that provides easier balancing and a smoother ride.

I agree with Phil about the quality of Diamondback tires; my wide whites are 7-8 years old and are as white as when brand new. I also followed their recommendation to use nothing but SOS pads to clean them with.

Has anyone tried kontio tires on there early model tbird?

Never tried those, but have used coker tires. I probably spelled it wrong. I have diamond backs on my car
CD0A8594-2035-4E43-B0BA-10BCB0BDA125.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to prefer the original style white walls from Firestone whereby the exposed whitewall is 3 1/2 + inches.
I have them on both my 55 and 56 thunderbirds.

Back