1959 Thunderbird just fell into my lap.

I'm don't necessarily think someone was racing this car however it seems people who do run these kinds of distributors in their rigs. Having no vacuum advance and dual points.

With a car that old, who knows what has been swapped out. Pic might help identify it.

I am by far not an expert only having a bird for a short time, but I've read about an interceptor special engine 352 for 1960. Details vary on the source, but seems it came with solid lifters, holley carb, dual point distributor, aluminum intake and different exhaust manifolds. I can only find one supposed pic of this engine online but it appears to have a distributor without a vacuum advance. Not the right year for yours but again things get swapped out.
Hard to imagine a point type distributor without a vacuum advance. Often times the FE distributors get frozen to the block (aluminum hsg to cast iron) and in an effort to adjust or free them a hammer is used on the vacuum advance in an attempt to turn it. If you hammer too hard, the vacuum advance breaks off, perhaps this is what happened in your case.

Hard to imagine a point type distributor without a vacuum advance. Often times the FE distributors get frozen to the block (aluminum hsg to cast iron) and in an effort to adjust or free them a hammer is used on the vacuum advance in an attempt to turn it. If you hammer too hard, the vacuum advance breaks off, perhaps this is what happened in your case.

It appears to be like that on purpose. I'll run this distributor unless I find reason not to. I've been putting time into grinding off rust and doing primer/paint prep.

I'm trying to locate a driver's side mirror. I keep seeing pictures of square shaped mirrors or round ones. It's hard to tell exactly what they used for a "59.

I'm fairly sure that 59 came with the round mirror on the fender although I have seen some on the door as well, enough that I'm not convinced they were added later. AFAIK the external rear view mirror was an option in 59. I've only seen the square mirrors on the 60.

MY apologies, I've been meaning to get a pic of my distributor for you to compare but I haven't had her out lately for a ride.

I'm trying to locate a driver's side mirror. I keep seeing pictures of square shaped mirrors or round ones. It's hard to tell exactly what they used for a "59.
According the the attached page from "Thunderbird" an illustrated history of the Ford T-Bird, by Ray Miller; "The more elaborate, round, recessed, outside rear view mirror was introduced during 1958 to replace the earlier type that had been in use since 1955"

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• Page 218.PDF
    261.2 KB · Views: 0
Thank you Doug and Jay. I'll be looking around for a round drivers side mirror now.

Good news! I found a parts car locally for $500 bucks. It has *almost* everything I need. The big items here being a windshield, dash, instrument cluster, center console, door handles, front and rear seats and other goodies.

According the the attached page from "Thunderbird" an illustrated history of the Ford T-Bird, by Ray Miller; "The more elaborate, round, recessed, outside rear view mirror was introduced during 1958 to replace the earlier type that had been in use since 1955"

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

I will have to look up this writing and read it. It will surely be a great source of information.

Today my friend and I extracted the windshield. It was anxiety inducing but rewarding. I also pulled the center console, rear seats and such.

Attachments

• IMG_20200816_194319_01.jpg
    IMG_20200816_194319_01.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Picked up a set of slotted mags for my T-Bird today. Going to run 15x17 in the front and 15x18.5 in the back. Can anyone help guide me on how to "rake" my Third so the rear end looks higher than the front end?

What ATF do you fellows use in your vintage ford gear boxes? Is type

No. If you need body or interior parts for a 58-60 thunderbird then you need to get them from that car. Also remember throughout the squarebirds era they made changes to the car as well. I would recommend doing research so you can pinpoint exactly what you need. Drivetrain components is a different matter. The 352 or FE engine I believe is pretty common so finding parts for that isn't as much of an issue. Getting suspension, brakes, bushing components also should not be to much of a problem. Rear axle Is a ford 9"? Anyone else able to chime in and confirm? I am a little foggy on the rear and transmission. However I will say its an automatic. That much I do know. There is plenty of places around to help with restoring your car.
You are correct about the Ford 9" rear, however '58 Birds had coils, but were abandoned for leaf springs in 59 & 60. Pretty much everything else would fit through three years, but there WERE cosmetic changes in trims, mirrors, grilles, taillight housings/number of taillights, upholstery, dash knobs and switch color--the list goes on. Just make sure you get what you think you're getting.

As to ATF, a lot of people think Ford equals type F. And everyone I know gets away with it. But if you do the research, you'll find find the old Type A used bybmost brands of this era shares more properties to Dexron than Type F.

I have a lengthy article in my files somewhere about what replaced what . Suffice it to say, Dexron III is the closest replacement still available. It will be kinder to your clutches/bands and trans will perform most closely to original.

I would hope that after 18 months Rambler63 knows what type of ATF to put in put into his vintage Ford, but so others will know here is the article that you might be referring to.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Automatic Transmission Fluid - 1.jpg

Automatic Transmission Fluid - 2.jpg

Automatic Transmission Fluid - 3.jpg

It looks like my bird has power seats, so I may be looking at getting originals in serviceable condition.
I'll post pictures today.
I have a parts car that the body is gone but there is still trim and seat manual seats that need to be covered if you give me a list I will look and see what I can find no dash

Back