1959 How to install seat belts

PaulB

PaulB

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I've seen pictures of retractable and non-retractable seat belts in Thunderbirds. Any opinion or advice which is better? What is a good source for seat belts and is there anything special to know about the installation or just follow the directions that come with the belts?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Either style will do the job. When installing make sure that you use a reinforcing plate at least 4"x4"and 1/4" thick under the floor. You can look at the Thunderbird specialty houses for seatbelts.

Either style will do the job. When installing make sure that you use a reinforcing plate at least 4"x4"and 1/4" thick under the floor. You can look at the Thunderbird specialty houses for seatbelts.
I would assume at that time seat belt mounts were standard. I know on my '57 the mounts were already there and just had to install the belts. I like the non retractable as when laid out on the seats when not in use you don't have to hunt for them and they add a little bling.

I would assume at that time seat belt mounts were standard. I know on my '57 the mounts were already there and just had to install the belts. I like the non retractable as when laid out on the seats when not in use you don't have to hunt for them and they add a little bling.
Thank you for those two great tips. I appreciate it.

I have a 1960 and the non retractsble type. The only problem I've had was when one set fell through the crack in the seat. It was almost impossible to fish it out. I almost had to take out the seat to retrieve the belt. Luckily a young man was able to force his hand down between the seat to get the belts out. After that I made a rule that everytime we got out of the car we made sure the belts were connected to avoid having the problem again.

I have a 1960 and the non retractsble type. The only problem I've had was when one set fell through the crack in the seat. It was almost impossible to fish it out. I almost had to take out the seat to retrieve the belt. Luckily a young man was able to force his hand down between the seat to get the belts out. After that I made a rule that everytime we got out of the car we made sure the belts were connected to avoid having the problem again.
Yes, Thats exactly why i was considering the retractable type. Thank you.

It sounds as though this thread is talking about rear seat belts. Is that correct and if so where can I buy them?

Back