1959 Carburetor replacement

PaulB

PaulB

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a Carter carburetor on my original 352 engine. I've had it rebuilt by a mechanic friend as i know nothing about carbs. It was hesitating and even stalling when the engine got warmed up or hot from a standing start. Since he rebuilt it, it still does the same thing. It's a chronic problem. I have no confidence in the carb or the rebuild. So i thought about buying a new carb but they don't make Carter's anymore. I went to Summit who has a ton of carbs but i cannot determine if any work for my car. So my question is; do you know of another carburetor that will work on my 352 and would i have to change the manifold to make it fit? Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Before deciding to get a new carb, and in addition to checking the accelerator pump as suggested above, I’d strongly suggest first checking your float level. That was the problem in my case; had I checked that first, it would have saved me a lot of time and headaches.

See relevant thread here:

I have a Carter carburetor on my original 352 engine. I've had it rebuilt by a mechanic friend as i know nothing about carbs. It was hesitating and even stalling when the engine got warmed up or hot from a standing start. Since he rebuilt it, it still does the same thing. It's a chronic problem. I have no confidence in the carb or the rebuild. So i thought about buying a new carb but they don't make Carter's anymore. I went to Summit who has a ton of carbs but i cannot determine if any work for my car. So my question is; do you know of another carburetor that will work on my 352 and would i have to change the manifold to make it fit? Thanks
I just put a holly on my 59 works great has the electric cho it’s a 600 they have them at auto zone little pricy I thought $590 dollars car runs great now

Holly or Edelbrock both make replacement carbs. Go with the electric choke, easy conversion. Summit Racing can set you up and cheaper than the auto parts store.

There is no reason that original carb should not work if some considerations are employed, first off percolation is a big problem on these old carbureated engines. Do you hear boiling sounds after a hot ride when you stop ? Get yourself one of those Harbor Freight IR temperature guns (very cheap) and "shoot" the fuel bowls after a hot drive, anything north of 140 degrees is approaching the problem range. Shooting the car with the "parts cannon" before a proper diagnosis will most likely not solve your issue.

Back