1957 windshield trim removal

OhioTbird

OhioTbird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a leak at The bottom corners of the front windshield. I'm trying to get the metal trim off so I can caulk the opening while I wait to get the windshield pulled for a new seal.

Any clues where the screws are to pull the trim?

Thans in advance.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

There are several threads on this and I'm sure Biddle will link them. He's pretty good at that. The one thing I do know is that the lower trim comes out with the glass and has to be installed in the gasket before re-installation. I just used some uncured buttle which is basically malleable rubber to seal the corners. Not perfect but quite serviceable.

Ward 57 is correct. The windshield trim is installed in the seal and does not just pop out. The seal is put over the windshield and the trim is installed into the slit in the seal. the windshield is then place over the location on the windshield frame. Commonly a cord, like clothesline cord, is place into the slot the goes over the frame. This is best as a two preson job. the one person pressing on the windshield and the other person from inside the cockppit pulls the cord out of the slot. The result is pulling the edge of the seal over the frame. A common issue with older windshield seals is that they de-vulcanize, if that is really a word. The windshield seal is not a single piece. It is actually four pieces connected with four corners. The pieces are vulcanized into a single entity. If you have a leak by using a popsicle stick, tongue depressor, or cotter pinpuller to lift the edge of the seal from the glass you can then apply sealer from whatever brand you have selected. I like to put down masking tape and then apply. After applying, before set up, I can pull off the tape and clean up easily.

Back