1957 Vacuum leak | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1957 Vacuum leak

• Thread starter Thread starter Ward 57
  • Start date Start date
Ward 57
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Well here's a new one for you. On my 57' I just fixed my map light problem now only drawing 3 ohms and got the radio and ashtray back in. Took it out for a spin and it was idling rough, never did before. Adjusted the points, checked the timing, running better but still a little rough and the exhaust didn't smell right but good enough for now.
Refilled the windshield washer bag and tried the washers (good) and then the wipers. Nothing, and they always worked great before. Got under there to look at the system. Bingo! When futzing under there I knocked the vacuum hose off the motor. Reattached and purrs like a kitten. However I didn't just knock it off it BROKE off. The hose was as hard as a rock. Must have made another crack in it as the wipers move but barely when before they worked perfectly. The rest of the hose from the pump to the 'T' and on for the heater control is soft and pliable. Funny how one little 6" hose can cause so much trouble with the vacuum leak. New hose going in tomorrow.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Good to know. Gotta wonder if that hose was ever replaced and if the compound used for making it was any kind of newer material that would have hardened with age or it was real rubber.

We have a rubber hose activated “driveway bell” like to old gas stations in our dirt driveway…let’s the dogs know someone is here and they in turn bark like crazy….it is 45 years old as I know it and as pliable as new stuff but the one place it hardened was “indoors” where it attached to the actual bell air valve

Good to know. Gotta wonder if that hose was ever replaced and if the compound used for making it was any kind of newer material that would have hardened with age or it was real rubber.

We have a rubber hose activated “driveway bell” like to old gas stations in our dirt driveway…let’s the dogs know someone is here and they in turn bark like crazy….it is 45 years old as I know it and as pliable as new stuff but the one place it hardened was “indoors” where it attached to the actual bell air valve
All I know is that it's original. Why they used a different material is a wonder because the line from the pump and off to the heater control also look original and are in great shape.

Thanks for the heads-up, Ward. I’ve always wondered: do such hoses come with markings/date codes indicating their age? I’d like to check my hoses, but am not confident that I can tell from “feel” whether and when they need to be replaced. (For example: some of my hoses are soft and pliable when squeezed, but I have no way of knowing the line between “pliable”/good and “squishy”/bad. Similarly, some of my hoses are firm, but I don’t really know how to discern between “firm”/good and “rock hard”/bad.

Thanks for the heads-up, Ward. I’ve always wondered: do such hoses come with markings/date codes indicating their age? I’d like to check my hoses, but am not confident that I can tell from “feel” whether and when they need to be replaced. (For example: some of my hoses are soft and pliable when squeezed, but I have no way of knowing the line between “pliable”/good and “squishy”/bad. Similarly, some of my hoses are firm, but I don’t really know how to discern between “firm”/good and “rock hard”/bad.
Nope, no date codes or part numbers. Just reeled off in production. It's learned thing just like the coolant hoses. If they are pliable or on the other hand look like you don't want to touch them. Just wiggle any connections you can find and see how they fit and feel. That is the most common point of failure.

Back