1957 Tutorial on carpet installation available?

vernz

vernz

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I had my seats recovered with new vinyl and I want to install the new carpeting myself (along with seatbelts) before reinstalling the seat. Does anybody know of an interior tutorial I could use to guide me through the installation process? Can anyone that replaced their carpeting offer some hints on adhesives to use and pitfalls to look out for? Thanks, Vern

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Great video! He's 100% right about poking the holes in the deadener as you go. I didn't, and it was a challenge to find the holes again. Had to go under the car and poke through with an awl. And in your case I would also drill the seat belt mount holes before installing the deadener.

Just something to consider. My carpet was not glued in (but the car was restored about 35 years ago so I don't know what is "factory correct"). That made it easy to remove from the car and lay flat and use my Bissell spot and upholstery cleaner. It was amazing how much dust and grime settled into a 35-ish year old carpet on a car that spent the majority of time closed up in a garage under previous owners. Took two passes to get the rinse water to light gray. First pass rinse was black.

While carpet was out I did sound deadener as in this video before reinstalling it. Pro tip - find a wooden wallpaper roller as he used. I broke the plastic wallpaper roller I had, and had to go find a wooden wallpaper roller. Carpet laid back down just fine without glue.

I had my seats recovered with new vinyl and I want to install the new carpeting myself (along with seatbelts) before reinstalling the seat. Does anybody know of an interior tutorial I could use to guide me through the installation process? Can anyone that replaced their carpeting offer some hints on adhesives to use and pitfalls to look out for? Thanks, Vern
On further discovery on page 7-3124 of the trim and sealer manual, the carpet was installed with up to 18 drive nails to keep it in place. I also read someplace that the carpet was delivered in the trunk and installed by the dealer. I don't know if that was for all three years or just early 55's.

Thank you for the fantastic!! video plus the other helpful hints. I wasn't planning on installing the sound deadening mat, but after seeing this I will get some for my car. Vern

Back